Service tech's comments on Vista, processors, RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

blackcomb was supposed to be the server version of Vista, as Server 2003 was the server version of XP.

Longhorn is Vista. Blackcomb is its successor. Longhorn was originally a desktop/server operating system, but then the server version was canned, although there have been rumors that it is still in development. Blackcomb is the successor to Windows Vista and it is a desktop/server operating system.

Quote:

Quote:

Windows Vista is an unfinished beta operating system

All Microsoft products are released at the beta stage IMHO. They have an enthusiastic "testing" community that will eagerly pay for buggy code and test it for them, why shouldn't they do things this way?

Microsoft has never billed an operating system that received two and a half years of development as having received 5 years until now. The minimal that Windows Vista needed was three and a half. It did not receive even that.

That memory needing to be microsoft is a #@$%! myth. I bought my laptop, started it to make sure it ran then shut off, poped two sticks of corsair in it, and it took an additional few seconds to recognize the memory and it took off.

As far as saying that you don't agree with the minimum specs being raised, I could care less. If you don't have at least a pentium 4 or athlon xp, or 1 gig of memory, you're living in the past. My 5 year old system met the minimum requirements. It's not so much as they're needed to run, it's more of you SHOULD have this stuff if you don't want your computer to be slow.

And im not so sure you should be thankful you went to that guy, because he was able to clear up the mixed up memory matter. All my years of ordering computer equipment over the internet i've never once gotten the wrong package. Im not sure where he was ordering from, or if he was making up some #@$%!, but if you were to order it from newegg or digitalhotbuy or some reputable place, you'd have had it in 3 days, you'd still be able to use your computer in those 3 days, and saved $$.

lol, I could care less about the minimum specs I meant, not your opinion

maybe i can clarify i a few things. im a microsoft certified systems administrator for nt4/2000/xp.

vistas minimum requirements of 1ghz cpu, 1gb ram and dx10 video card are only for the aero desktop. if you dont meet those requirements the aero desktop wont work because youre computer is too slow. vista will still run, and quite good, on less than a gig of ram, less than a ghz cpu, and less than dx10 video card. you just cant use the aero desktop.

there is no microsoft branded hardware that is required or even optional to run vista. i dont even think microsoft makes ram.

the only real problem is directx 10 video cards are currently in short supply. i dont even have one and im a computer geek if that tells you anything.

if you ever buy a vista based computer make SURE that it meets the requirements to run the aero desktop. its a beautifull thing and if youre going to vista anyways, aero is only like $20 more i believe for the "higher up" version of vista.

I agree 100% with Master ACiD's post.

Moreover, if you see on onboard video card (one that's attached to the motherboard) it's almost a guarantee that it won't run the Aero interface. Mostly, these are Intel "Extreme" video. Great for 2-D stuff and office apps, but even this product has limited life left. Go the 'true' video card route for the upcharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back