Serenity now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a serious issue with my AVONS. They wore concave, below the wear bars in the centre and 5/32nds on the edge after a lil over a month/5k miles!!! I found the date code of 14/04, not fit for sale. I called TR and they offered me a great deal to compensate me. 50% off my next pair. That's ok because I paid only $56 each for the AVONs. Basicly, if I buy a premuim tire of >$100, I get these AVONS for shipping and mounting costs.

I'm looking at the Turanza Serenity. They seem pretty premium and wear is >700. I really want good wear now and have dedicated snows I can use for winter. Here is the kicker, a $100 rebate from Bridgestone!
So, $123 x 3 = $369 - $100 is $269 + shipping. That seems pretty good for this quality tire. Am I missing something? I'm tired of 300-400 wear tires lasting me a matter of months and the experience of these AVONs has shocked me toward higher miles tires. Size is 215/55-16 Any other suggestions?

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyCom...num%3D155HR6TS#

G-019s come out to $238 after $50 rebate, wear is 460

RE960s come out to $291 after $75 rebate, wear is 400

I have never had good luck with Bridgestone Tauranza's. I actually have them on my car right now and they are horrible. Flat spotting for 2-3 minutes at start and horrible road noise. I am just too cheap to change them prematurely but i am getting to 30k miles on them and they are getting pretty bald so they'll be going soon.
My favorite tires are Michelin Pilot A/S, Goodyear Tripletreds or Goodyear Assuarance or comfertreds.

for that size, we have pirelli P6 (OE on the saab), and yokohama avid v4S on the MB diesel. Both are decent, IMO. The yokos are a bit quieter, granted they are on an MB.

Ive been looking at the RE960AS Pole position tires for my saab when its tires wear out. Given that I have two sets of wheels and thus winter tires, Im also looking at the Goodyear F1-GS in that size. Apparently a bit less biased for noise (i.e. noisier by a tad), but overall after millions of miles, they seem to still have a pretty good review and they are decently priced for what they are.

I might give them a shot instead of a set of all-seasons on a highway car that has winter tires...

JMH

I'm looking at rebate tires, Dunlop and Bridgestone. These are about 1/2 price for me if I get 4. The more expensive tire I get, the more I ~save~.

I am beyond happy with the RE960's on my Subaru WRX for a premium high performance all-season. They are stand outs in the rain, great in dry and usable in the winter muck.

Not sure how this relates to the 'Serenity' type, but I have the Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02's on the AWD Suzuki. These "All-Seasons" came stock on the SX4, and I wanted to hate on them because they were OE, but they're really not so bad.

The compound is definitely on the hard side, good for durability and MPG (40+psi), maybe not so good for road noise, ride comfort, and handling in the winter.

I noticed in your size for the Serenity it is HR rated. The HR tires only get a $75 AmEx gift card. You have to get VR or higher to get $100 gift card from Bridgestone.

Audi Junkie:

I have had Turanza LS-H's on my '01 I30 for 40K+ miles now and I've had no problems. But for the fact they will easily go 50K + miles, I'd change them out for the Serenity version. You'll get the $75 gift card and a quality tire.

I saw that too. The link from my size says $100 though. I was going to order and then ask about it after, or....thinking of a tactfull way to approach it. As far as Turanzas in general, you don't have to pitch me on them. I think they are some of the best quality there is. It just a matter of which ones to get, them or the Potenzas and how it works out financially.

I have the same LS-H tires for 63,000 miles on my BMW, had 4/32s left, but were very slick by then on snow and ice. Wanted Serenity, but Bridgestone does make them in 225x60x15 so I went with Michelin Exalto A/S. A very nice tire.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Audi Junkie:
I have had Turanza LS-H's on my '01 I30 for 40K+ miles now and I've had no problems. But for the fact they will easily go 50K + miles, I'd change them out for the Serenity version. You'll get the $75 gift card and a quality tire.

Here's what it came out to:
The Serenitys would have been $430, -$75 Rebate
The G019s would be $334, -$50 Rebate

So, it turned out the Serenitys were not in the Delaware wharehouse, so an extra $20 in shipping ($60 total) from Georgia.

That was enough to kill the deal on them. I don't really need 4 tires, so paying out that much money now did not seem ideal.
I got the G019s. 1st pair was $118, makes total sense, and the 2nd pair, the extra ones, comes out to $212 minus the $50 rebate for getting 4.

So that's an extra $166 adventure to save a few bucks ahead of actually needing them, acceptable since tire deals are tough to find. Even though I really wanted them, Serenitys just did not work out this time, mostly because I do not need them right now and am just specualting to save money, but that does not work as well when you have to spend a lot more.

Having second thoughts. I picked up 2 used tires on EBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Firestone...4QQcmdZViewItem

And I am realizing I just don't need ...not just 4 tires, but I really don't need anything now. I have the beat ones I'm driving now for a couple of months, two near-new Exclaims for late summer/fall, these two Ebay Firestones for late fall and my near-new mounted Eagle Response for going into winter. At most I'll need two new, early in winter. I don't mind buying early to save some money and such, but I'm actually buying 4 that I don't need. The extra 2 would just sit through a year from now +! Not worth it for $50 savings. Maybe I will get the Serenitys after all, just 2 on the 2:1 adjustment I have pending. Thanks for listening, typing stuff out makes you think about it critically.

Darn it AJ!

I thought for sure, you'd finally buy 4 new tires this time!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back