Seagate 2TB green drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
A recent CHKDSK on this external drive showed 16KB of bad sectors. That was not there last week. This is my E drive. I have RAID 1, so what about my mirror drive? I cannot see that from my PC. The only thing the SteelVine Manager (manages the RAID enclosure) software can do is a verify, which I believe makes sure the mirror copy is 100% valid.

I'd say your fine. Chkdsk /r marks the sectors as bad so they don't get used. Since you have a raid 1 setup is wouldn't worry until the drive fails. Both won't fail at the same time. Do they support Smart?

A drive that new will almost surely support SMART. It's also new enough I wouldn't like to see bad sectors. You might be able to run seatools against it and get seagate to return it. I had a similar mirror setup at work, and the second drive failed while the first failed drive was shipping back to me. The importance of backups, even in a mirrored environment, can't be overstated.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
A drive that new will almost surely support SMART. It's also new enough I wouldn't like to see bad sectors. You might be able to run seatools against it and get seagate to return it. I had a similar mirror setup at work, and the second drive failed while the first failed drive was shipping back to me. The importance of backups, even in a mirrored environment, can't be overstated.

This. That is not a good sign...

any newer drives since at least 5 years ago should not show bad sector in partition level until all the spare sectors are used up. If you are in a mirror and show bad sectors, that means both drives have the same error in the same space, not good.

Try to use a smart utility tool to check the condition of each individual drive, and see if there's any reallocation sectors above 100 on either one of them. If so, replace it.

you say you have external drive ?

this is in some type of enclosure with 2 of these?

I personally have had alot more problems with hitachi and WD than seagate.

then again 95% of the seagates I have in service are the 7200.12 series mostly 500gb single platters.
about 10 1tb's now though

I installed SeaTools. It said the SMART test was unavailable for the Seagate drive. The Long self test failed very very quickly, and the long generic passed. That was on the E drive. I do not know how to test the mirror drive. My eSATA adapter does NOT support port multiplying so I am pretty sure Windows will never see the mirror drive until I change eSATA adapters.

Thoughts.

if its a mirror you should be able to disconnect it and hook it up to a regular sata port. or a sata usb adaptor..

would prefer in a different computer

then run tests.

alot of the smart functions are not available in a raid.. even raid 1

Another odd thing running some of the SeaTools tests against the primary drive is the activity light does often come on during the test for the mirror drive. I assume the Long Generic is a read only test, thus I cannot explain it. Its either on for the primary drive or the mirror, never both.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I think new seagate drives are junk. The last reliable seagate was barracuda 7200.7

Right now, I tend to agree with you. The reports from the field on the consumer-grade 'cudas have been deafening for some time. Too hit and miss for my comfort, and on a few models the misses are painfully frequent.

My current go-to drives are Samsung F3 and F4s and some Hitachi Ultrastars. The Sammy HE series drives are the coolest running drives I've ever encountered and have been rock solid in enterprise apps.

Of course, three months from now, it may all change yet again. That's how the HDD biz goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back