Rotella T5 10W-30 for my beater/gasser Saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil seems remarkably cheap at Walmart @ $11.50/gallon. I've got a 96 Saturn SC2 and like most older-vintage Saturns, it consumes oil. I'd say it uses about 1qt every 1200 miles.

Initially, I ran a few loads of Rotella T6 5W-40 to de-louse it from past neglect and remove sludge. Then I switched to M1 0W-30. Now that I've seen that the innards are clean (replaced the valve cover gasket recently and posted pics here), I decided that it's silly to burn $5-6/quart oil at that rate. So now it's running PYB 5W-30 and seems happy. The T5 is about the same price as the PYB I'm using now. The car is mainly used as my commuter mule and gets ~35mpg with my mixed highway/city usage.

Thoughts? Is Rotella T5 a step up from PYB?

PYB is good stuff. Especially if you want to protect catalytic converter type equipment, Id likely go low Zinc/Phosphorous... I believe the PYB is slightly lower than the rotella.

PYB is good stuff. The only reason Id have to run rotella is if it is less volatile so you would burn less...

I think some saturns have a timing chain issue of some sort. I think maybe they prefer the thinner oils as the thicker ones dont get to the chain properly. It may be that there really hard on the oil and tend to sludge therefore plugging up the oil hole for the chain. I dont remember but you could do some digging to confirm.

If they are the same price I'd go with T5. Try them both and see which one you like the most. The T5 is a little thicker at operating temp, so you might burn less. As for cold weather performance, T5 isn't too bad for a 10w30. Only cold weather specs posted for T5 are pour point, which is -42 versus -39 for PYB, and ASTM-5293. PYB is 5100 @ -30°C mPa s and T5 is 6000 @ -25°C mPa s. So the PYB will definitely flow better when it gets real cold.

Just run the PYB and give it [censored] every now and then.
Italian tuneup is the best way to free the rings.
my 96 DOHC burns less oil the more time goes on.
Right now it has PP 10w30 in it and running excellent.

I would run the T5 over the PYB.
A little thicker so would help reduce consumption, also excellent cleaning properties. I live in Upstate NY and have never had any trouble running 10w30 in the winter. My Saturn had no trouble starting last winter in sub zero temps with 10w30 Mobil1 High Mileage.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Picked up a few jugs of T5 last night and will be switching at the next OCI.

Best,

T5 > PYB, IMO

since price is a concern you go with a 15w-40 would would be a even cheaper which still has a nice additive package being diesel rated.

Though T5 is great if you want a 10w-30, Semi-syn HDEO for not much more than 15w-40 HDEO.... whats not to like?

Diesel oil is only bad for the cat if you're burning a lot, in which case any oil is bad for it. The diesel oil is just slightly worse.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
The amsoil 10w30 ACD diesel synthetic is a thinner 10w30 than the T5, which may offer better cold start ...

Perhaps, but it's wildly more expensive. Walmart just raised the price to $16/gallon for T5, but that's a LOT cheaper than Amsoil. A dozen Amsoil oil changes on this puppy will exceed the value of the car.
smile.gif

Best,

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
The amsoil 10w30 ACD diesel synthetic is a thinner 10w30 than the T5, which may offer better cold start ...

Perhaps, but it's wildly more expensive. Walmart just raised the price to $16/gallon for T5, but that's a LOT cheaper than Amsoil. A dozen Amsoil oil changes on this puppy will exceed the value of the car.
smile.gif

Best,

Your oil choice is fine for your $300 car, but ACD can be had for $24.90 gallon, just so the other readers will know.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

smile.gif

Best,

Your oil choice is fine for your $300 car, but ACD can be had for $24.90 gallon, just so the other readers will know.

It says $32.40/gal on Amsoil's website. Also, I note that the Amsoil has a cold pour point of -33F and the T5's is -42F (speaking of winter). Interesting. In any case, thanks for the info.

Best,

It says $32.40/gal on Amsoil's website. Also, I note that the Amsoil has a cold pour point of -33F and the T5's is -42F (speaking of winter). Interesting. In any case, thanks for the info.

Best,

$32.40 is MSRP.

That's because Amsoil SAE30/10W-30 is a true straight viscosity oil. It does not contain VII's or Pour point depressants. Pour point should only be used as a general comparative parameter. More importantly is the CCS. I did not see a -25°C, cP (ASTM D-5293) figure for T5.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Best,

$32.40 is MSRP.

That's because Amsoil SAE30/10W-30 is a true straight viscosity oil. It does not contain VII's or Pour point depressants. Pour point should only be used as a general comparative parameter. More importantly is the CCS. I did not see a -25°C, cP (ASTM D-5293) figure for T5.

I don't claim to be an expert on the various ASTM standards, but here's the info from Shell:

http://www-static.shell.com/static/can-en/downloads/shell_for_businesses/oils_lubricants/1-56.pdf

Thankfully, I loaded up on a few gallons while Walmart was selling it at $11.50/gal.
smile.gif

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back