removing haze from headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
any recommendations on removing haze from headlights? I have been using Mothers headlight restoration kit, it works ok. wondering if their is a better product out there.

Have a bottle of Meguiar's plastic polish I used on my badly pitted headlamps after a ton of wet sanding with extremely fine wetdry sandpaper.

Took alot of elbow grease but came out crystal clear. All I can suggest is if you have floor polish for acrylic...like Mop'n'Glow, putting some of that on seems to make the headlamps stay clear longer and easier to repolish later.

But Im a redneck so, buy a complete lens system if you want. I've heard toothpaste makes a decent polish too but I couldn't bother to go that far.

Originally Posted By: RowdyYates
any recommendations on removing haze from headlights? I have been using Mothers headlight restoration kit, it works ok. wondering if their is a better product out there.

You can go really cheap and use Toothpaste, yes toothpaste and or polishing compound and a buffing wheel to remove the haze. Saves you about $9.75.

Regards, JC.

Once you get it restored your best defense against hazing up again is wash the headlights every week or so with a good quality car wash. While direct sunlight can cause hazing, a lot of it is caused by pollutants in the air that build up on the lenses. Car washes don't always do a good job of cleaning the headlights.

I don't use any "kit" to do headlights. Wetsand, compound, polish and seal. That's what I do to get them looking near perfect. It's definitely not a 15 minute fix, that's for sure and fortunately, I have a bunch of 3" and 4" backing plates and pads for my makita and pcxp that makes it much easier to remove the wetsanding marks.

Finally went to a franchise operation called Dr Headlight, for 65 they sand the lenses down, get the finish right and apply an epoxy spray on finish after that, takes about 30 min to dry and just fantastic with a lifetime warranty. So far had two cars done. The over the counter stuff just did not last and did not come even close to being the same brilliance as Dr Highlight.

If they're not too bad, I just use compound and an orange pad with a machine.

Otherwise, wetsanding is probably the only other choice.

I have used the 3M kit for this as well and it works nicely.

Originally Posted By: RowdyYates

Wetsand with 2000 grit and a little soapy water. You won't believe the difference. But, the lenses still discolor/haze over time.

A friend of mine had her headlight lenses sanded and re-acrilic'd at a G/Y Service Center for $40 or $50 per/lense.

They looked great for about a year and now the acrilic is peeling. The person doing the job may not have cleaned the lenses well enough prior to sealing them. The lenses now look worst that they looked before!

Use caution before having a shop perform this task for money.

My only answer to all of this is...Do what you are doing and keep your headlight lenses maintained on a regular basis as with the rest of the vehicle. Just one more thing to maintain in our long list of items, isn't it?

I haven't found any product yet that is a premanent fix!

Last edited:
If you can feel the discoloration with your fingers you need multiple grades of abrasive. Toothpaste would not do it, nor would any single grade of abrasive. I bought some 3M Headlight Lens Protector from Amazon and will try that soon.

Maybe this is something people will need to keep up with. Do it with a kit initially and then keep up with it with just a plastic cleaner with very fine abrasive. Don't let it get bad again.

They also sell film you can buy to protect the lens from damage and the sun. Has anyone tried that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back