Refrigerator Circuit Board Blown?

Guys, I'm over at my friend's place, looking his inoperative side-by-side GE fridge.

The fridge side quit working (gradually becoming warmer over a period of several days), but the freezer continued to work fine. He unplugged it earlier today, found nothing obvious, but when he plugged it in again the display did not light up.

There is power to the fridge; the lights work on both sides (freezer and fridge). Neither the fridge nor the freezer are cooling now.

We pulled the control board cover, and saw some burn marks on the board. Some of the capacitors look bulgy as well.

Thoughts from you folks? Is the board cooked?

Thanks!

20230513_152502.jpg

I think those resistors just got a little warm. There should be a little door that opens to allow cold air into the freezer, check to make sure it isn't stuck and that it is receiving voltage to open.

Google around. You may find a fix. Sometimes there is a known fault. We had to fix a board on a fridge about ten years ago.

Google around. You may find a fix. Sometimes there is a known fault. We had to fix a board on a fridge about ten years ago.
I envy people that can repair circuit boards. Knowing what to test and where is interesting to me.

Anyway, I'd run the part numbers by a parts supply warehouse or a local parts guy, they always know what breaks. If there are plenty in stock, or the comments describe your problem, it could be a common issue such as the board.

Plenty of boards around, mostly going for $60 if you want to throw parts at it.

Nobody is going to be able to tell you if that board is good or not just by looking at it! But the burned spot on the right where there isn't even a visible component is certainly suspicious. I bought two used but guaranteed good boards for my Samsung refrigerator from E-bay and they fixed it.

I spent about $110 for the boards VS. several thousand for a new refrigerator or untold hundreds of $ for a tech to try and fix it.

If you can keep the food from spoiling in the mean time, I would order a new board and try it.

Last edited:
Make sure the settings didn’t get turned down. Had that happen till I cleaned it out and just happen to notice the dial was turned all the way down. I have also had a condenser fan get plugged up with hair.

well. Never mind. typing Just as you posted.

Had to replace the fridge board a few times,
Upgraded boards/revs were used
Have installed the whole house surge protector and no more
Eventually went with a new 'fridge simply because it was quieter, as noise was a precursor to board failure

Back