Rebuild Hydraulic Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I insane or is there no place to buy parts for a hydraulic jack? I need to rebuild (or have it rebuilt) the jack that drives the logs on my manual log splitter. Maybe an auto parts store? I feel kind of stupid, but that's not so unusual. I should probably ask a retailer who sells jacks.

Anyone rebuild their own stuff (jacks) or know where I can find a video (better yet)?

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
Am I insane or is there no place to buy parts for a hydraulic jack? I need to rebuild (or have it rebuilt) the jack that drives the logs on my manual log splitter. Maybe an auto parts store? I feel kind of stupid, but that's not so unusual. I should probably ask a retailer who sells jacks.

Anyone rebuild their own stuff (jacks) or know where I can find a video (better yet)?

I've rebuilt various hydraulic cylinders and other devices that depend on O-rings. I carefully measure the O-rings and then determine their size using an O-ring chart readily found on the web. Make sure you have the right material, eg Viton for fuel injector and Buna (nitrile) for oil. The last thing would be hardness and usually 70 will work fine in a cylinder. Harder will not seal as well. For Buna, which is what you want, I go to my local hydraulic shop and they give them to me for free because it costs more to do the paperwork than the O-ring costs.

I've always taken the cylinders to a hydraulic shop and had them rebuilt. It's not expensive and turn around is usually quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back