real world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came back from yet another trip.

2100 miles total, averaged 12.2 with a 33 foot 5th wheel weighing 13k pounds!

Got 19 on the way home with nothing but me and my woman!

09 Dmax 4wd long wheelbase 2500HD, running Amsoil 15w-40.

I love this truck.

Remove the dpf and put an EFILive tune in it and you'll get 22 mpg running 70 mph on the interstate...
20.gif

Very much a real world set of numbers; I do about the same loaded and empty with my 2006 Dmax.

To at least put this "on topic" for the HDEO forum, did you use much oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I wouldn't get too excited about those numbers. Even my old '95 7.3L Powerstroke with 300k miles got 14 mpg towing 20k loads.

But you forget... I'm not you. I AM excited about those numbers.

At a 70 mph cruise (which your old Ford probably could not maintain in the mountains with my very high slide out RV) those are excellent numbers.

Plus I only have 10k miles on her. I fully expect it to get better with some more miles.

And it did not use a drop of oil the entire trip.

Nor did it blow up, as my old 7.3 did!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I wouldn't get too excited about those numbers. Even my old '95 7.3L Powerstroke with 300k miles got 14 mpg towing 20k loads.

But you forget... I'm not you. I AM excited about those numbers.

At a 70 mph cruise (which your old Ford probably could not maintain in the mountains with my very high slide out RV) those are excellent numbers.

Plus I only have 10k miles on her. I fully expect it to get better with some more miles.

And it did not use a drop of oil the entire trip.

Nor did it blow up, as my old 7.3 did!

That is true, so to each his own. And you are correct, that truck could not maintain a large hill climb going 70 even with 4.11 gears.

We had two N/A 7.3's in our family. Mine went out of time on the injection pump and blew apart to the point it was not even rebuildable!

The other one my Father in law towed a HUGE beavertail car hauler all over the country and never had a lick of trouble.

Go figure?

But this Dmax is very unique in having what feels like limitless power and yet still doing ok on fuel. We'll see how it holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back