Question, looking for 1911A1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've got a question about a certain pistol. The one that most people refer to as the "Colt 45" or Remington Rand 1911A1 .45 ACP pistol. The one you see in all the World War II movies...

Looks exactly like this:

img2246m.jpg

My questions are:

- Can you buy these brand new or are they not made anymore?

- For a gun like this, where is the best place to purchase from? Local places or online?

- How much would one of these go for in new/good condition?

Getting a hold of one of these has been a dream of mine for quite some time! I'm not really in a position to acquire one anytime soon, but I'd like the info for future reference.

Thank you gun experts!

That is a 1911

Millions have been made and they are still being made by most manufacturers.

I'd go to a local range and rent one before buying. They are NOT meant for everyone. Single action and require some training to use safely (like most other firearms)

.45 acp is the most common caliber for this model.

Cost is $300 used up to $4000 new. These models are easy modified many ways.

As long as we still have the rights hopefully they will be available. See my sig on what I support.

Go over to practicallyshooting.com where many of us here go!

Bill

There are several companies making MIL-spec 1911A1s right now. As they are currently being made you can get them from any number of retailers at competitive prices (just keep in mind shipping and transfer fees if buying online). You can get a new Rock Island Armory for $350 I think but I'd say one of the most expensive recent production "MIL-spec" 1911A1s would be a Colt 1991A1 (ORM) that would set you back closer to $500, obviously depending on condition. If you want authentic markings a Colt 1911A1 WWII repro would be a couple $100s more, they're recent production pieces. Real WWII vintage guns will be more expensive.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
Bill, that's actually a 1911A1, right?

It is, but for the op I'm sure any 1911 would be fine for him.

In fact he may like a different model once he shoots one. Or he may find that while they look nice, he may like another brand type (like a striker for example)

My advice is always for someone not familiar with weapons to find someone who will take them out and show them the different types and let them shoot with some training. The range with an instructor is also a great way to go.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Gregory
Springfield Armory GI. or See if the "new" Remington fit the bill.

Seconded. Everybody I know who has purchased a Springfield Mil-spec 1911 has had nothing but good things to say about it.

Thanks for the replies!

I went to the range and fired one of these off with my uncle who is a gun fanatic. I really enjoyed the 1911. I like the solid feel of it as well as the power that wasn't too overwhelming.

I wouldn't say I'm too experienced in the world of firearms, but I'm a fast learner and not one of these hyped up young guys who wants one just to "blow **** up", although that is fun too!

I do appreciate the suggestions and tips. This summer I'll have some opportunities to go shooting, and will definitley try some stuff out.

The Springfield Armory GI is one of the most faithful reproductions of the original gun that you can get.

I have their Mil-Spec version, parkerized. It's largely true to the original design, but with a few optimizations included that are often performed aftermarket such as lowering the ejection port, polishing the loading ramp, etc. I would recommend it to anybody, anywhere.

Nothing compares to the way a 1911 feels in the hand. It's completely natural.

I'm currently debating between the Springfield Mil-Spec and the Rock Island Armory Tactical. Thoughts between those two?

Looking for a good range gun on a "I'm poor" budget.

The ParaUSA G.I. Expert is a good price, but Para seems to have mixed quality control issues.

Reasons?

Not that I don't think the Mil-Spec is a good pistol, but the RIA Tac seems to be a good $100 or more cheaper, and I don't see much difference in the construction or options.

I've got one and its been a great gun. I've customized it a little and I know when/if you have any problems, Springfield has excellent customer service. (Mine has not had a single issue)

Don't know much about RIA so I can't comment on what I don't know!

$100 is a lot of money. Go check out other forums and research the RIA vs Springfield.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
I'm currently debating between the Springfield Mil-Spec and the Rock Island Armory Tactical. Thoughts between those two?

Looking for a good range gun on a "I'm poor" budget.

The ParaUSA G.I. Expert is a good price, but Para seems to have mixed quality control issues.

I have a Rock Island Armory Tactical 1911A1. It is the only 1911 I have, or have shot, so I have nothing to compare it against, however.

I really enjoy shooting the gun, it is quite accurate, and after shooting it, I think I understand all the fuss over 1911's. I will definitely be buying more of them.

Mine handles hollow points in an odd manner. If the first round in the magazine is a hollow point, the gun will jam. If the first round is a round nose, and all subsequent rounds are hollow points, it will feed all rounds just fine.

Your hollow point jam issue sounds more like a magazine problem and not a gun problem to me. Have you tried different mags to see if the problem goes away?

I have shot WW2 surplus 1911s, Colt Goldcups and $4000.00 Wilsons there are differences. The big problem is that the shooter is the same.

I own a Springfield Mil-Spec and a Rock Island Armory and have been very pleaed with both. The only thing I did was purchase several novak and chip mccormick mags and chip mccormick rosewood thin grips and I was done. They both have been 100% reliable with FMJ ammo.

Last edited:
Springfield is the best and most faithful reproduction out there. Unlike the RIA guns they are made with forged frames and slides and exhibit a better fit and finish. They also have better triggers from what I have seen.

Neither is American made though....the Springer is Brazilian and the RIA is made by Armscor in the Philippines.

Originally Posted By: TurboWagon
I've got a question about a certain pistol. The one that most people refer to as the "Colt 45" or Remington Rand 1911A1 .45 ACP pistol. The one you see in all the World War II movies...

Remington Rand was one of the WWII manufacturers of 1911A1 pistols. They made about 900,000, Colt made 400,000, Ithaca made 400,000, Union Switch & Signal 50,000, Singer made just 500, and the government-owned Springfield Armory and Rock Island Arsenal also made them.

Originally Posted By: TurboWagon
- Can you buy these brand new or are they not made anymore?

For some years only Colt made similar pistols. The military had so many left over from WWII they used them right through the Vietnam War.

An outfit which uses the name "Springfield Armory" (no connection to the now defunct government-owned facility) buys forgings from Brazil and finishes them into a variety of 1911 pistols.

The one that you may be interested in is the "Mil-Spec" model which has a military appearance (the finish, for example, is "parkerized", the same as the WWII pistols) but has many upgrades from the WWII model, such as improved sights (the one you pictured has rudimentary sights).

If you're not worried about duplicating the military appearance, I'd go with a stainless steel version and there the sky is the limit. There are a couple of dozen quality makers in the U.S. as well as at least one outfit (Taurus) outside the U.S. that makes quality versions of the 1911A1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back