Question About Toyota Stock Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longo Toyota sold me two of these. They are made in Thailand, and carry stock # 90915-YZZD1. They are made by Denso. What is your opinion of these, and what kind of OCI will be acceptable?

I think they are built to the typical 5000 mile OCI that Toyota recommends for most of their vehicles.
In my opinion, they do not seem to have the fine media needed to be a "high efficiency" filter, but if Toyota uses them, they will be fine to use.
Personally, I prefer the products of Wix (Napa Gold), Purolator (Pure One and most Bosch), Mobil 1, K&N, or Hastings, to the Thailand/Denso filter. But Toyota also sells a TRD oil filter to be a direct replacement-upgrade for the 90915-YZZD1 that is very nice. I don't remember the part number offhand for the TRD, but the dealer should be able to order them in for you if you want.

I prefer the OEM toyota Japan denso with the "foam" synthetic media(90915-10004). My Yaris (1NZ) or Rav4 (2AZ) never ran well with the Thai filters (dry starts, weird VVT operation). The Non ecore delco was the best on my Yaris followed by the Wix upsized for the camry. Unless you flow benched these, there is no telling why, as the construction is superb on the either denso with Si adbv on precision internal construction. No endcaps at all though - if that is bothersome to you.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I prefer the OEM toyota Japan denso with the "foam" synthetic media(90915-10004)...

+1. If I could find them. My Tacoma (4 cylinder 2.7 liter) came from the factory with the foam type.

I guess if the filter isn't making dry starts or other noticibla problems, you can't go too wrong here. There are I'm sure plenty of 300 K mile Toyotas that always used the over the counter filter from the dealer...I'm not sure how much they make a difference as long as you got something there.
But being a filter nerd, I think I prefer others (or the TRD) to the 90915-YZZD1.

The 90915-YZZD1 is the shorter version of the 90915-YZZD3. I've ran the 90915-YZZD3 on my '05 Tacoma up until ~25K miles, then switched to the Purolator PureOne PL20195 which is about 3/4" longer yet.

The TRD PTR43-00080 crosses over to the 90915-YZZD3.

I have been using the Denso First Time Fit series on my Tacoma. They have a silicon ADBV that the dealer filter does not have. The stock # is 150-1002. Amazon has them but not real cheap right now. Can be ordered directly from Denso. Warning it is a bit hard to navigate this website http://densoproducts.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back