Purolator Classic L10111 Cut Open (Unused)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still had it sitting on the shelf since I got rid of the cavalier. A little bit of rust on it from sitting, and some strange stuff on the dome end. It wasn't nearly as hefty as the FoMoCo Champ Labs filter, which makes me kind of disappointed, it just doesn't feel as solid as that one did. Anyway, nothing really wrong with it. The pleats are a little deflected in spots, but nothing terrible.

DSC05209.jpg

DSC05208.jpg

DSC05210.jpg

DSC05211.jpg

DSC05212.jpg

DSC05213.jpg

DSC05214.jpg

DSC05215.jpg

DSC05216.jpg

DSC05217.jpg

DSC05219.jpg

DSC05220.jpg

DSC05221.jpg

Motorcraft oil filters are made by Purolator, not Champion Labs. This filter is somewhat decent except for the glue job which look very messy and the pleats which are unevenly distributed throughout the filter.

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
Motorcraft oil filters are made by Purolator, not Champion Labs. This filter is somewhat decent except for the glue job which look very messy and the pleats which are unevenly distributed throughout the filter.

I agree. And YES, the ones you buy at the store are made by Purolator. The one that came factory on my focus is CLEARLY a Champion Labs filter. The baseplate is very distinctive, with the different sized holes, unique to CL K&N, and Mobil 1 filters.

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
Factory installed ones are.

Really? Here's one with 6k on it, looks fairly straight to me.
21.gif
And afaik, wavy media doesn't have any serious effect on filtration/function.

L14459008.jpg

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
Well you can see why the used ones are real wavy.

Yes, a lot of used Purolators that you see with wavy pleats were probably made that way at the factory. The last used one I cut open had wavy pleats because the end caps were not aligned well so the pleats were twisted / wavy.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...807#Post2042807

sayjac - you got a straight one there. And I agree, a few wavy pleats isn't gonna make any difference in performance.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yes, a lot of used Purolators that you see with wavy pleats were probably made that way at the factory. The last used one I cut open had wavy pleats because the end caps were not aligned well so the pleats were twisted / wavy.

sayjac - you got a straight one there. And I agree, a few wavy pleats isn't gonna make any difference in performance.

The end caps not being aligned would make the pleats look twisted no bent like that picture wouldn/t they?

Originally Posted By: noblite
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The end caps not being aligned would make the pleats look twisted no bent like that picture wouldn/t they?

Could be possible too that the length of the media was just a hair longer than it should have been. When the two end caps are put on, if the media is a hair too long then the excess has to adjust to length between the end caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back