Pulled Motor = Cracked Intercooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Posted this on the Subie forums, but figured I'd post it here as well to see what you guys think. Who doesn't like pictures, too, right?

CN: So, I've had a pig-like squeal while in boost ever since I got my car back from the body shop last year. My fuel trim has also been kind of wonky. Nothing seemed loose every time I inspected for the gross and obviou, but I pulled the IC yesterday and inspected everything even more closely. I found that too-long bolts were used on one side of the Y-connection at the bottom of the IC, causing it to push into the IC and crack it (See pics, and below for more info.)

Dealer also replaced the secondary air injection valves not too long before the accident. So, only the dealer and the body shop have touched the IC in the past couple of years. The body shop says they did NOT have to remove the IC to remove the engine, which the dealer says is required to detach various harnesses.

So, does the IC have to be removed to remove the engine? Comments and suggestions welcome. Also, please note that the body shop manager has been great, though his guys don't seem like they're of the highest caliber.

LONG VERSION:

I was hit a few months ago, causing ~$15k in damage. The subframe needed to be replaced, requiring the motor to be pulled. My car was in the shop for just about a month before I got it back.

The first day I got it back I noticed a few things that were annoying, but not that big of a deal.

1. They used the wrong fasteners for the MAF sensor - my AEM was wrecked, so I gave them my stock box to put back in, including ALL hardware. When I brought it to their attention, they ended up simply screwing them in :rolleyes:

2. No clips for the back of the undertray. When I brought it up, they drilled and tapped out the subframe and screwed the undertray to the subrame. THIS I was [censored] about, especially after they claimed they were unable to source the clips (I spoke to the dealer parts guy and he pulled them up in 2 minutes.) :furious:

3. Overspray. Everywhere. Otherwise, a very impressive job :lol:

4. One of the headlights had no level adjust. They replaced it, and while the light pattern seems a little off, they're good enough.

5. Mismatched bolts. Two different bolts, one brass-like and one OEM, were used to attach the hard vacuum lines to the IC. Not a big deal, just annoying.

6. Bent Perrin front endlink: I had the car up on a lift to inspect soon after I got it back, and immediately noticed the endlink was bent. I replaced it.

It wasn't until the next day that I noticed the squeal. The body shop was nice enough to install Group N tranny and engine mounts for me while they had the motor out, so I at first assumed it was that. After a while, it sunk in that this was not a gear whine, but a full on squeal, sounding similar to a cracked exhaust or boost leak, but I couldn't find anything obvious; no loose/disconnected hoses and no soot or buildup around any of the exhaust flanges (I did notice an exhaust leak in the catback connection, though replacing the gasket did not fix the squeal.)

Yesterday, I pulled the IC to see what I could find. I almost reinstalled it, having found nothing more than a VERY slightly loose hose clamp. While flipping and orienting the IC for installation, however, the bolts for the Y-connection caught my eye. One side had longer bolts than the other.
confused.gif

Upon closer inspection I noticed one of the too-long bolts had actually seated against the IC and cracked it! [censored] :diaf:

NOTHING requires those bolts to be touched unless a leak was suspected, and the only thing ON the IC that requires loosening to remove are the two hose clamps. I have no idea why these bolts were touched, let alone replaced, but it's infuriating, and obviously both Subaru and the body shop are denying any wrong-doing.

For now, I have a loaner while the body shop looks into it, and I'm hoping they fork over the money to replace the [censored] thing. So, on to my options:

1. Buy new from dealer: $600

2. Buy used from forum: $? unknown quality

3. Repair: no idea how to, nor cost to have done professionally...

Notice the residue on the left-hand side. I'm sure the gasket is leaking.
DSCN0286_zps68da81e2.jpg

Notice the crack
DSCN0285_zps6fc5daed.jpg

DSCN0284_zps141a9379.jpg

OEM bolts
DSCN0283_zps5ff63a92.jpg

[censored]
DSCN0282_zps838bc592.jpg

Also noticed that the BPV gasket was different than what I've used in the past
DSCN0279_zps2250a782.jpg

Endlink
DSCN0263_zps56bb0444.jpg

DSCN0262_zps9fee73d7.jpg

DSCN0260_zpsee4c9b87.jpg

I would never try to pull it with the intercooler in. There is the dogbone mount under it as well as a few harness connectors from the trans. Its just so easy to get the intercooler off why even leave it in and try to work around it.Its obvious it has been removed and some moron used the wrong length bolts and busted it. Like you said there is no reason at all to remove the y pipe off the intercooler.

Last edited:
As I always say... when you're in a wreck, how responsive that the insurance company is doesn't really matter... the rental car is quickly forgotten... but it is the quality of work that the body shop does that sticks around for years (or at least until you sell the vehicle).

Sorry to see this, and to hear of your frustration.

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
I would never try to pull it with the intercooler in. There is the dogbone mount under it as well as a few harness connectors from the trans. Its just so easy to get the intercooler off why even leave it in and try to work around it.Its obvious it has been removed and some moron used the wrong length bolts and busted it. Like you said there is no reason at all to remove the y pipe off the intercooler.

That's what I figured, but I never claim to even be master of the obvious, which is why I rely on forums like these to help me out when in a pinch. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
As I always say... when you're in a wreck, how responsive that the insurance company is doesn't really matter... the rental car is quickly forgotten... but it is the quality of work that the body shop does that sticks around for years (or at least until you sell the vehicle).

Sorry to see this, and to hear of your frustration.

True, indeed. I was incredibly impressed with the body shop at first. I went to see my car the day after they towed it in and the manager had already had his guys tearing into it. He walked me through his plan, which was detailed and impressive-sounding considering how little time he had had the car. I still think he's doing a great job, as evidenced by his use fighting for OEM parts where ever possible, and replacement of parts that MAY HAVE been affected, such as the strut assembly.

However, a bunch of small mistakes and one big one have caused me to lose faith in their attention to detail. The crack should never have occurred.

I've been busy, but I want to research ways to correct the pain over-spray without damaging the surrounding plastic/rubber. Is th is something I should have them correct while they have it or is it expected?

I repair alum parts from engines all the time. This can be weld repaired for much less than bought new.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I repair alum parts from engines all the time. This can be weld repaired for much less than bought new.

I'll be in Ofallon, IL in a few month. I'll bring it with me!

I would bring the overspray to their attention for sure. It may only take some light compounding to remove.

I'll call them now, before work, and see what he says. I have the temperament where I like to do everything myself for fear of bothering others, so it's hard picking out all of their mistakes and explaining to them why it's UNSAT. It causes me great anxiety, and I feel like I'm asking too much.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I would bring the overspray to their attention for sure. It may only take some light compounding to remove.

I'll call them now, before work, and see what he says. I have the temperament where I like to do everything myself for fear of bothering others, so it's hard picking out all of their mistakes and explaining to them why it's UNSAT. It causes me great anxiety, and I feel like I'm asking too much.

I live 20 miles from there. PM me and I will give you the phone numer.

I know how you feel and I have done some things myself that I should have had body shop do. But if you or the insurance company paid for it the shop should do the work to your satisfaction.

How is it asking too much wanting the quality expected from professionals. Accept nothing but 100% satisfaction. You pay insurance,the insurance company has paid them a mint to do the job,accept nothing but perfection.
This isn't a 500 dollar winter beater. Your concerns will affect re-sale value and total worth of the unit. Do not sign off until you are satisfied.

Well given the option to have a guy with "tig" in his username weld it that's probably the best route. But being that it's not under much pressure and not really structural you might also see if there is some epoxy product for aluminum. I know for fixing aluminum boats there are some products.

I'm not sure how much the body shop is going to help you with overspray, you might see how easy it is to remove yourself.

The real frustrating thing to me would be that bent link because that could have chewed up some tires, and it would seem had they done an alignment (which they should have) they would have noticed that. I'm sure that your insurance wouldn't have been quick to cover performance improvements probably not covered by your policy but it should have been noticed and brought to your attention.

only a person with gumby stretchable arms could remove a subaru engine with the intercooler still attached. tons of hoses, not to mention the transmission/engine bolts.

Ever think about getting an upgrade to a FMIC?? Not sure how close it is to your warranty being up.

I live 20 miles from there. PM me and I will give you the phone numer.

I hope it doesn't come to that, but I really do appreciate the offer!

I know how you feel and I have done some things myself that I should have had body shop do. But if you or the insurance company paid for it the shop should do the work to your satisfaction.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

How is it asking too much wanting the quality expected from professionals. Accept nothing but 100% satisfaction. You pay insurance,the insurance company has paid them a mint to do the job,accept nothing but perfection.
This isn't a 500 dollar winter beater. Your concerns will affect re-sale value and total worth of the unit. Do not sign off until you are satisfied.

I agree, and will make sure that everything I've noted is fixed properly.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
only a person with gumby stretchable arms could remove a subaru engine with the intercooler still attached. tons of hoses, not to mention the transmission/engine bolts.

I apologize, but I meant to say that they DROPPED the engine and tranny as a unit. I'm not sure if that makes any difference with respect to having to pull the IC.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Ever think about getting an upgrade to a FMIC?? Not sure how close it is to your warranty being up.

AT this point in time I don't have any plans to upgrade my turbo, so a TMIC makes the most sense.

Originally Posted By: default
Find a guy who upgraded and buy his old one cheap.

I'm currently trolling the Subie forums doing just that.

If you are interested, on youtube brian has bunch of videos on pulling the motor out of a ricer subbie wrx

They're going to replace the intercooler with a new one, since they can't find one used. They're complaining that my insurance isn't covering it, though I'm not sure why they would...

I'm just hoping to have my car back by the end of the week, before the snow storm hits!

Originally Posted By: Shaman
Take the money and buy a better tmic

The OEM is actually pretty good. I'm not so sure that every aftermarket tmic will provide any benefit, and fitment may be an issue, as well.

Besides, a pro-tuned stage 2 STI offers as much power as I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back