Problem with Chevy full size truck engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has a 2000 Silverado with the 5.7L engine. He read an article about a man who ended up getting some money back from GM because of a "rapping" sound from the engine. The sound is supposedly common to all of the GM truck engines. From what he told me, it was due to carbon build-up on the piston top and tight clearances. I guess his truck does the same thing, but it is only noticeable at idle.

Now, I haven't seen the article, so he or I may be misquoting the problem. Has anyone else heard of a problem along these lines? Can anything be done about it?

If your dad has the 5.7 then he has Gen II and this is not one of the engines that has piston slap issues. If he has a 5.3 that changes things!

This is a controversial subject and bound to get some people really upset. I can only offer my thoughts having owned these vehicles and not intending to start a argument. I believe that just because you hear some noise is not any indication something bad is happening. These new engine blocks are made out of aluminum instead of cast iron. While aluminum is lighter weight, it also is not a quite as cast iron. Probably contributes to the noise resonating that would otherwise not be noticed in a cast iron block engine.

While there are some that contend there is engine damage going on, there are many more that have driven them for over 100,000 miles with the noise and not experienced any engine problem.

You also have to expect that owners will maintain vehicle differently. While some will use the better oils and filters etc as they can find, a great many more will always use the cheapest and often the lowest quality oils and filters. Yet they still expect the same longevity and good luck as the others. Often this is not the case.

My 2001 has made a light knocking (tapping) sound since around 15,000 miles (now over 40,000). It will often not make any noise or at least I never hear it. While I have not tried different brands of oil, I have tried 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-40 synthetic with no difference. I now am using 10W-30 and I since changing about 1000 miles ago, have not noticed any noise so far. Someone I know has a 1999 Silverado 5.3L and had this noise since it was new. Back then they tried it all and nothing stopped it so the dealer installed Mobil 1 and he has been driving all over the Great Lakes area ever since, only changing oil 1 every 6 months. Last time the subject came up was late last summer and he had nearly 150,000 miles and his engine had not been touched, noise was about the same, not any worse.

While I am not expert by any stretch of the imagination, I had a 1990 Lumina, a 1994 Lumina Z34 that had the very same noise. So its nothing new. The '94 I sold to a lady near me in 1997(she offered to buy it) and she drove it till 2001 logging over 100,000 miles as she told me and never had any engine problems, claims it was the best car she had.

We were discussing this topic of engine noise one day and a long time friend who has one of the few remaining full service gas stations has told me he hears engine noise all the time in a wide variety of cars and trucks. He even commented on which ones he though were the worst and I do recall it was Ford V6 and I4 engine in the Taurus, Focus like cars.

Would I buy another GM truck, in a heartbeat.

I better stop, probaly some are just dying to rant like me in the opposite direction.

Not to try an d slam you about your choices in vehicles, but i think most people with these problems figure if it is a noise like that something has to be having a metal to metal contact, and are thinking if you get 150k relatively trouble free miles with the noise making engine, would you be getting 300k with a quiet one?

It doesn't even matter if it is a reliability issue or not. Some of them can be heard across a noisy room and the sale or trade-in value goes to near 0. The folks who think it is not a problem can pick up a knocker and save a bundle. I bought a 4.3 to avoid this very issue.

I doubt it is a material issue. Many companys have been useing aluminum as one of the many materials in their engines for some time with no slaping sound. It is either inferior design or inferior execution. I refuse to belive that the Asian or European companys have some magical kernel of information that prevents piston slap!

I guess it is equally ok for GM to put out intake manifolds that crack and leak on thousands of cars. It is surely all right to produce the worlds most inferior central port injection device (all trucks that used CPI on 4.3,5.0 and 5.7). WHat about all of the grossly defective oil cooler lines on the trucks. I could go on but my point is that eventualy you have to quite makeing excuses for the domstic brands!!

Well of all the complaining about noise, no one has come up and told us of one of these engines that blew up? I have been waiting for this to happen but all the complaints are over noise.

Hey if those asian and Euro cars are so perfect, why do those dealers even bother with service Dept's.?

My neighbor has a 2003 Toyota 4x4 SUV. She was telling me the other week about some problems she has, it will be about 2 weeks before she can get an appointment to take it in. I think her problem are electrical, she has had a hard time starting it on a few occasions, not to mention some trim parts falling off.

So I would not be so quick to praise these vehicles as they have their share of problems and customer complaints.

Well, although I am quite fond of the LS-1 style engines, I do have a story of a failure. I have a buddy that has a 2000 silverado with the 5.3. On his way to work one morning, the oil pump failed and the engine locked up. The truck was less than a year old and had 17000 miles on it. GM replaced the engine under warranty, and the truck now has over 60000 miles with no further problems, and no piston slap.

Just a couple comments/questions to add about the GM piston slap discussion here:

*I've been hearing a lot lately about reduced trade in values for trucks that exhibit the cold start knocking (CSK) sound. Has anyone experienced problems when they or someone they know has gone to sell or trade a truck with this problem?

*I do a good bit of fairly heavy towing (~8000lbs) with an '01 Silverado 2500HD that has a 6.0L V8. In the morning the CSK is so loud it sounds like a diesel, especially on the overrun (rev the engine briefly and listen to the knocking as the engine idle drops back to normal). But even with this noise the truck pulls strong and runs fine. Burns very little oil, if any. So while this problem sounds horrible, I wonder what kind of real world wear is happening? You'd think a truck that's been used hard its entire 70,000 mile life would start showing sign of serious problems. Not the one I drive. Everything works great.

So.... is the CSK problem more real or more perceived?

Mike all things mechanical break and ever company has some lemons! The problem is that some companys have more lemons then others and do not seem to care!Most of GM's problems have been long term and on going. It would be different is something new poped up. So either they can not fix the problems or choose not to fix the problem. THeir is a reason why their market share is constantly shrinking!! You can always buy a TOyota even if it is the first model year. Everyone knows not to buy a GM car or truck the first year. SOme go so far as to say not to touch a new model for the first 5 years!

I doubt you would have any reduced resale value with a knocker or have problems selling it. Most dealers insist it is normal. I have had dozens and dozens of folks listen to my 2002 LS1 that "diesels" and just about every one can not hear the "diesel knock" and tell me I'm crazy and hearing things. Only us nurotic car nuts hear these things that might not be a problem! My last UOA on my knocking LS1 was fantastic!

FWIW, I sold a knocking 2000 5.3 with no problems! The reason I sold it was to high of payments at the time! It was a sweet truck though! I love my 2003,

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
You can always buy a TOyota even if it is the first model year.

I'm sure the people who bought the Toyota Sludge-O-Matic models were thinking the same thing.
smile.gif

Is the Cressida a sludge monster? My co worker bought a used one last year with 110,000 miles on it and the engine blew at 130,000 or so and I'm wondering if it was because of sludge with poor oil changes. She is looking for a new "used" motor for it now, I'll tell her to watch those sludge engines or just buy a chevy motor and slap it in there.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
Is the Cressida a sludge monster? My co worker bought a used one last year with 110,000 miles on it and the engine blew at 130,000 or so and I'm wondering if it was because of sludge with poor oil changes. She is looking for a new "used" motor for it now, I'll tell her to watch those sludge engines or just buy a chevy motor and slap it in there.
grin.gif

If it's an old Cressida with the Inline-6, it's not a Sludge-O-Matic, but those engines like to blow head gaskets. Too bad too since those engines are very rugged even if they had relatively high oil consumption with certain oils. Now that I think about, that was the other failure mode...people didn't keep an eye on the oil level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back