Post your latest cold start.

23 Tacoma 2GR-FSE, and boy do I like the sound of a quiet cold start with no valve clatter. 29 degrees, M1 Euro 0w-40 + CeraTec from 1k - 6k miles. Current fill is just 0w-40

The deep cough cough crank and mechanical cooling fan. 😎👍

Sounds just like my wife’s 4R.

3*F this AM for my old truck. I did buy a magnetic 300w oil pan heater that seems to help. (It’s main job is to heat the sump on my log splitter.) The pan on the truck is aluminum so I supported it with a jack. Really hillbilly, but the pan is lukewarm to the touch.

2003 Lexus GS300.
17F/-8C.
Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W-40 in the crankcase.
170.6k miles.

Ambient temp dropped to 15F/-9C as soon as I got on the road and stayed there for the whole Sunday morning work commute.
1000013644.jpg

Last edited:
i wanted to post a cold start, but we have the most pathetic winter i have experienced since i was born. it is currently -1 celcius. the coldest was -29 celcius and we reached that only once! i was hoping for -40 like we usually have about 4 times during winter. every single day it is -4 or -5 celcius. it is so warm, ice fishing season is almost ruined. we d'ont even have 8 inches of snow on the ground. i grew up with snow above the house ceiling in the seventies and eighties. with minus 55 celcius with wind chill was a daily routine. i simply d'ont understand where is winter gone this year. it's there, but so weak and pathetic. nobody wants to see a 2023 Mazda cx-5 signature doing a cold start with Pennzoil ultra 5w30 at -5 celcius.

i wanted to post a cold start, but we have the most pathetic winter i have experienced since i was born. it is currently -1 celcius. the coldest was -29 celcius and we reached that only once! i was hoping for -40 like we usually have about 4 times during winter. every single day it is -4 or -5 celcius. it is so warm, ice fishing season is almost ruined. we d'ont even have 8 inches of snow on the ground. i grew up with snow above the house ceiling in the seventies and eighties. with minus 55 celcius with wind chill was a daily routine. i simply d'ont understand where is winter gone this year. it's there, but so weak and pathetic. nobody wants to see a 2023 Mazda cx-5 signature doing a cold start with Pennzoil ultra 5w30 at -5 celcius.
Similar here. I doubt y'all care about my car starting when it's 40 and sunny and the low is above freezing.

What HP is it at now?
35+. Around 310HP. I also run 93 / e85 mix. E30 for maximum timing. It’s NA, not a lot to be had without a Mugnuson SC. The power band comes on lower, throttle response is greatly improved, I also have TCU tweak for shift points and overall performance. Much better than stock. This engine loves octane. Even stock. I’m talking up to 96 - 97 depending on temps. Funny, people run 87 and have no idea what the knock sensors and learned timing is like. It is a pretty high compression engine.

IMG_3226.jpeg

Last edited:
Back