Polyurea and Chevron greases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skk

I have a Chevron distributor in my area I like to get supplies from. Recently I was looking over all the varieties of grease they offer and became intrigued by their Black Pearl polyurea grease.

What I'm looking for is a superior automotive wheel bearing grease that will be subjected to both on and offroad conditions, often seeing deep water and mud.

The Delo EP seems like a good choice, but Black Pearl has an outstanding washout % of less than 1 (Delo 5). Black Pearl also has better Dropping Point and 4 Ball Weld Point. They are pretty equal in the other categories, although I don't know what the spray-off % is, but that under 1% washout is what really has me interested.

Polyurea grease is an unknown to me, I've always just used lithium based greases for everything. Has anyone else ever used this Black Pearl or Polyurea greases in general for wheel bearing applications?

By the way, love the site. Lots of great info, learned a bunch just since signing up last night.

Polyureas make excellent general purpose greases, and are especially good for high temperatures where the polyurea acts like an anti-oxidant as opposed to the pro-oxidant properties of metal based thickeners. I have not used them but did formulate some.

Polyureas are a small percent of the US market, partly due to cost and partly to the limited producers - making the polyurea thickener involves use of some rather dangerous cyanates. There is now available a pre-formed polyurea solid which will make these greases easier to make. They are much more popular in Japan.

Suggest you run your application by Chevron to make sure their formulation is suitable for your needs, but it sounds okay to me.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
Why not just use Mobil 1 Synthetic grease? It's fairly easy to find, and should do the job you're calling for. Just a thought.

Actually I wasn't that impressed with M1 grease. I used it once and upon tear down the grease was pretty runny. Plus it has a fairly average water wash out % and some of their other test figures on paper aren't particularly strong. If I were to use some other grease other than what I have available locally at Chevron it would probably be Amsoil. Thank you for the response, but I was looking for insight on Polyurea or Black Pearl.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Polyureas make excellent general purpose greases, and are especially good for high temperatures where the polyurea acts like an anti-oxidant as opposed to the pro-oxidant properties of metal based thickeners. I have not used them but did formulate some.

Polyureas are a small percent of the US market, partly due to cost and partly to the limited producers - making the polyurea thickener involves use of some rather dangerous cyanates. There is now available a pre-formed polyurea solid which will make these greases easier to make. They are much more popular in Japan.

Suggest you run your application by Chevron to make sure their formulation is suitable for your needs, but it sounds okay to me.

Tom NJ

I will certainly discuss it with them, although sometimes I feel like I can find better info on the net than directly with them.

If they think my app checks out, maybe I will run the right side in Black Pearl and the left side in Delo and conduct a test of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back