pls school me on "spark plug anti-foulers"

Status
Not open for further replies.
How old is this invention? How does it work? I dont think it will work on the cars with coil packs that sit on the top? Many thanks

Originally Posted By: 2008wrx
How old is this invention? How does it work? I dont think it will work on the cars with coil packs that sit on the top? Many thanks

They are handy for installing on the downstream o2 sensor if you have a weak cat and you wanna pass smog
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dogememe

They are handy for installing on the downstream o2 sensor if you have a weak cat and you wanna pass smog
laugh.gif

That's about the only real purpose they still have.

Pretty old invention, at least the '60s-they basically jacked the plug's heat range WAY up, off the scale, to burn off oil. I wouldn't use them on any electronically controlled engine's spark plugs, I'd be afraid of causing piston damage due to preignition.

They are as old as dirt, they work by keeping the plug tip out of the combustion chamber and the oil in it.
To use one on a COP system you would have to use a rubber seal spacer and longer hold down bolt also with a spacer the same length as the exposed part of the anti fouler.

This is a real Mickey Mouse operation, something to be done in the backyard at night with a flashlight in disguise and don't put your name to it.
I wouldn't go so far to call it a "fix" for anything, only a short term band aid.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: dogememe

laugh.gif

That's about the only real purpose they still have.

Yep.

Heh heh. The only car I ever saw anti-foulers on was Frank's '73-ish Malibu 6. Valve seals were shot and the rest of engine wasn't far behind. It still would foul the plugs after a week or two.
grin2.gif

They work great for fooling downstream o2 sensors when you delete the cats on an obd2 vehicle
lol.gif
lol.gif
honestly ive never tried using them as intended. I asked an older tech about it and he said basically if you need them you should be fixing the actual issue causing the fouling.

Actually used 6 of them on a ‘70 Camaro six cylinder. When it got to where the anti-fowlers struggled an old timer showed us how to use a button spliced into the middle of the spark plug cable (had to be wire cables) to fix miss firing. The spark had to jump the gap across the button holes thus raising the voltage. Car smoked so bad it was actually funny - on the CB radio a trucker opined that we were “sky writing on the ground”..
Definite carbon foot print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back