Picked up a screw, but still holding air......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I'm afraid you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

That's certainly possible; I misunderstand people on occasion; so let's review:

The OP asked a question about a tire he had removed a screw from that wasn't leaking. He was concerned that it might begin leaking. He received advice ranging from:

Quote:

Definitely! And odds are, it will start leaking with a good blowout on the highway! I would not hesitate to immediately get it patched...

to:

Quote:

Go get some Camel plugs, run that hole the rest of the way through with the roughing-tool, goo em up with lots of rubber-goo cement, and shove two of the plugs in there.

Opinions both, and not dissimilar from other advice one might find on an internet forum.

I came down on the position that:

Quote:

Don't worry about the tire. Millions of tires get punctured every year and there isn't a plug or patch on the market that will "unpuncture" it or restore a broken belt. All any of the repairs do is stop the tire from leaking. If the liner of the tire is holding air there isn't any way to improve on that.

Note that this opinion in no way contradicted your post:

Quote:

While I tend to be overly cautious in my postings, the fact remains that a small penetration to the belt represents a fairly low risk. I'd just watch the area carefully. For example, I plugged a trailer tire a few years ago (I know, I know!), and marked the sidewall with an arrow so it would be easy to find later. I'd recommend you do the same.

Someone else gave an opinion that only a "patch" type repair is acceptable (but also sounded like they said if it wasn't leaking leave it alone.):

Quote:

Proper repair method for a radial tire is either a patch or a plug-patch. SO if you patched it what would you gain from a non-leaky tire? The plugs (tarry braided cord stuff stuffed in a hole) are not to be used as they get cut up by the steel belts and start to leak.

I have been told elsewhere (sometimes by tire engineers) that plugs won't work in general and specifically won't work on radials because:

Quote:

The plugs (tarry braided cord stuff stuffed in a hole) are not to be used as they get cut up by the steel belts and start to leak.

I don't agree with the general premise that modern plugs don't work or that patches are always superior, regardless of belting type or tire construction. So I burned some internet bandwidth talking about my personal experiences with tire repairs, tire repair shops and tire manufacturing companies and basically said 3 things:

1. An internal tire repair (e.g. patch) is technically difficult to do correctly.

2. My personal observations and experience with plugs does not indicate they are more prone to failure, in fact the success rate is probably higher when taking typical tire repair "technician" skill into account.

3. Given *my* evaluations of tire failures, while any damage to a tire may contribute to tire failure, I didn't see that the presence of a plug type repair was a significant cause of catastrophic (i.e. "sudden" or "blowout" see quotes above) tire failure.

Your response was:

Quote:

True, a repair is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of a new tire - and a plug less expensive still - but if the tire fails as a result - and we know that some tire failures result in loss of life - then the cost vs benefit has to be fairly extreme.

Which reads an awful lot like you're saying, while repairs of any kind are relatively cheap compared to a new tire, unless the new tire costs more than someone's life you should replace the tire.

Of course you go on to add:

Quote:

I guess what I am trying to say is that there is a reason why there are rules about tire repairs and I don't think WalterMitty is in a position to correctly assess the situation.

This is written apparently to protect the readership lest anyone actually follow my stupid advice or believe my misguided stories. (Which as a statistical matter may actually be in alignment with about 99% of the tire repair advice you'll get from commercial tire operations.)

You go on (at length) to describe your fleet experience with a company that used plugs as a repair method and develop some "statistics" based on a mechanics' anecdotal data on plug repair failures. You then extrapolate failure rate data to suggest plugs fail about 10% of the time. Even though you discredit this already shaky statistic ( shaky due to the fact that your "data" isn't actually "data" but somebody's recollection of past events) in the middle of your story:

Quote:

He mentioned that the need for replacement seem to be tied to a particular batch of plugs and when he experienced this he tossed the remaining plugs and bought another batch.

Well, I'll put my story and experience up against some third party report of a one-in-ten failure rate that was blamed on a bad batch of plugs any day of the week.

As you mentioned, you like the "Point/Counterpoint" format and:

Quote:

OK, that's just a taste of where I am coming from. I'm sure that will generate questions, so……………

and:

Quote:

But let's take a different approach, something along the lines of sharing experiences and see if we can learn something along the way.

So I will try to ask some questions and make observations that maybe some of us can learn from along the way:

1. The statistic on plug failures
Quote:

Plugs leak about 10% of the time.

is not useful unless better repair population data is known and failure modes are separated for special causes (e.g. bad batch of plugs or other reasons). If I ask some guy I know about how many UFO's he's seen or how many times he's been abducted, are you prepared to accept this "data" as proof of some hypothesis I may hold? Why is your data source more inherently reliable than any person that may or may not remember what he had for breakfast two weeks ago?

2. If we were somehow able to clean up your "data" and prove some failure rate on a large enough population of plug repairs; how would that data be useful to the general public without observations on alternate repair populations (cold patching, hot patching) and at least a token control group of tires that had no repairs? Let's pretend the failure rate on plugs is 10%, on what basis do you propose that say, cold or hot patching is lower, the same, or higher?

3. While it's fine to self identify as an expert in a wide range of technical specialties (I'm sure we all do from time to time) when rebutting someone's opinion that they have presented as opinion based on experience, you may want to consider using "Better Data" to make said rebuttal. Particularly if you are as boorish as to state a particular poster is "not in a position" to state their opinion on a particular matter.

I think I can state, based on your postings, that you either haven't studied statistics and statistically valid observations of products and processes, or you flunked the class and have been operating on "opinion" and "anecdotal" data as a "Tire Engineer". That's nothing to be particularly ashamed of, I see it all the time in industry; it just happens to be worst among "experts".

It also doesn't mean you can't give your "title" and state your opinion. In spite of your lack of observation and DOE skills, you may actually know something. If you are what you say you are, I would like to know your opinions.

But don't think that just because you are a self-identified expert, that people like me are going to wilt away because you've got some story to tell, from some guy you know, that had something happen, and that supports your pet theory.

The basic flaw in your analysis is that you can't tell the difference between Opinion based roughly on undocumented experience, and Fact that is statistically verifiable with real data. This is compounded by the belief that as a self-identified expert your "opinion" should count more for some reason because it is your opinion.

Have "we" learned anything yet? Let me summarize:

1. For some reason you took exception to the opinions I posted and stated I wasn't qualified to state my opinions. I basically blew it off and quoted your own post in support of my hypothesis that tire geeks and salesmen tend to tell you to buy a new tire no matter what happens because it's just not worth the risk to repair or use a "damaged" tire. I still think I'm on pretty solid ground on that point.

2. You then propose that I must have misunderstood you and go on to quote anecdotal data that you then extrapolate into a failure rate for plug repairs. Besides the fact your data collection methods and statistical analysis would earn you an "F" in a statistics (FMEA, MEOST, DOE, SPC) 101 class, you seem to think your little story proves...something.

What exactly I misunderstood is still unclear; you say you know of a situation (involving defective plugs) that somebody thinks they remember resulted in a 10% failure rate. That proves, *what*? That you *don't* recommend replacement for all damaged tires? Just for the reading audience, what is your recommended course of action for dealing with a flat tire?

Here’s a tip: You log on here and post your opinions and I’ll respect that and post my opinions and I may even post hard data if it exists to support my positions. You do the same (and learn the difference between opinion and data based fact) and I won’t feel compelled to tarnish your image as a Tire Engineer by pointing out your obvious lack of skill in data collection and analysis; not to mention people skills.

Whew!!!

First, let me apologize to you, WalterMitty. I shouldn't attacked your ability to make judgements.

Second, it is clear that the audience has been lost and little additional learning will take place - for that I also want to apologize to BITOG as a group.

I'm sure the topic will be discussed again, but by then everyone will have cooled down.

Tire plug patches are not hard at all to install and taught new guys to do all the time. Takes only a couple of minutes and does require you to dismount the tire which in most cases is like big deal. Cleaning with proper tools and materials is stupid easy. Getting the plug patch in and seated is the only tricky part. Loose more patches that way (probably 1 in 6 as I tend not to lube the shaft of the plug patch which gets fed into the tire).

The Plugs that I have seen fail (several dozen in 2 years at a tire and suspension shop) have all been in service for weeks to months and deteriorated loosing that tar like substance behind and all that was left was the coding material. Thus the leak starts. I have never seen a tire plug patch leak once properly installed. Yeah I have seen them not seat properly and have had to personally remove the one I just put in and try again but once installed no problems.

I am just one guy and can only tell you what I have seen and been taught.

Heck have even seen several lately in a dealership. Not a fan of the just plugs stuff.

"And there you have it from a "Tire Engineer" (is that right Capri?). You should replace your tire any time you have a flat."

Maybe so; the tire companies would love it I'm sure. I had a side wall cut about a year ago that I wouldn't consider having fixed. I replaced a $180.00 tire that still look new at 15,000 miles. But, for an average puncture in the tread, I would have it fixed. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm certainly not suggesting anyone do as I do.

Only been repairing tires for 30 years. No formal training, but my suggestion would be if it aint leaking leave it alone.

After having comeback for several years with plugs our company policy is plug off road/atv/farm equipment. Everything for highway service gets a pach.

Bob

Unless you have X-ray vision, how do you know what damage was done to the inside? The string plug doesn't inspect the interior of the tire, it fills the puncture path, but doesn't guarantee the sealing of the inner liner. If you were out in the bush...yes, a plug is good just to get you to a repair station. A plug/patch combo is the best way, since tire is removed to inspect the internal damage. The inner linner of a tire uses a special rubber compound which retains air better. Once the liner is punctured you must drill out with a special bit to size and clean hole, cleaned, buffed, cemented, patched, and coated with a rubber type compound assuring the innerliner retains air. To me, plugging is improper, since no internal inspection was done.
twocents.gif

Quote:

I just happened to look under the Explorer today, and noticed a small screw lodged in the very center of the tire tread. The head was worn, so it had been there for awhile. I pulled it out, and luckily the tire didn't leak.

After measuring the screw, it would have gone through the tread and about another 1/4" into the carcass. Any chance of this starting to leak down the road?

Should do a soap and water test. I did the same thing exept it was about 1/4" away from the side wall eventhough went to my local discount tire they pull the nail and from the naked eye it didnt leak unill he added soap and water so here came tinny tinny bubbles...so i had to by a new tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back