Photos Under Cam Cover - 2007 R1 - 56,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the cam cover off to adjust some of the valves, so I thought you guys might want to see some photos.

I've used a variety of oils and filters in the bike, including Yamalube and Castrol, Yamaha OEM filters, Purolator Pure One 14610 or 14612, and Bosch 3300s. I used to change the oil like every 1500-2000 miles when I was riding a lot. In the last few years it's been more like every 3000 (or when I think it needs it, lol). The last several changes have been T6 and a Bosch 3300. Next change is going to be Rotella 15W-40 and a Bosch filter, since I've done some reading here about the 5W-40 shearing down in shared-sump bikes.

Camshafts and retainers still in:

Cams out:

Bumpsticks:

I had previously checked the valve clearances back in 2009 when the bike had about 25K, and they were close enough not to bother with adjusting. This time, all the intake valve clearances were within spec, but all the exhaust valves needed re-shimming. (They were only a few hundreths of a millimeter tight.)

I called a nearby dealer today, and the parts guy said that the service dept. will often trade shims, so that will save me about $50-60.

Also been having a starter problem for a while - the bike acts like it's killing the battery every time I start it cold. Then, if I shut it off and go into a coffeeshop for an hour, then come back out and start it back up, it starts perfectly. I decided to pull the starter and have a look, and 2 of the brushes were sticking in the brush holder and looked like they weren't making contact with the commutator. So, I suspect that the starter was drawing too much current to turn the engine over with only 2 of the brushes making contact. Then, when the oil is hot and thin, it doesn't take as much juice to turn the engine over, therefore it starts fine. I don't know, though, someone else who's better with electrical might be able to chime in here.

So I sanded and cleaned them. Also checked measurements and resistances, and everything was in spec, so, hopefully that will fix me up and I'll have a good-running R1 this season!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The engine looks like new to me. You may need to invest in a new starter.

Hope not. They run over $350 new.

At 56K that could be about the end of valve seat recession and possibly the last time you will need to do this job.
On my CBR1100XX i didn't have to adjust them after 48K. AFAIK it still runs perfectly with over 300K kilometers on the clock.

The engine still looked like yours under the cover at 260K when i sold it running on Castrol RS 10w60 (the red oil) its whole life from the first 1K OC.
Interestingly the new Castrol Edge Racing 10w50 is also red in Germany, i dont know about the US.

I tore it down to replace a cam chain at over 200K and all parts were in OEM new specs except for the stretched chain.

It looks like you found the starter problem alright.

Very nice & clean.
Regards to the starter, I'd think (guessing) that having only two brushes seated, its not drawing twice the amp, but only to work half as it needs to be (two brushes instead of four).
Your already in, might as well clean up the starter and try instead of buy a replacement.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Very nice & clean.
Regards to the starter, I'd think (guessing) that having only two brushes seated, its not drawing twice the amp, but only to work half as it needs to be (two brushes instead of four).
Your already in, might as well clean up the starter and try instead of buy a replacement.

That's what I thought. But when I hit the button, the engine turns over 4 or 5 times, then the batt. gives up. I think the batt. is good. Then I put a 6-amp charger on it and let it sit for 10 min, then crank again with the charger hooked up, and it fires, reluctantly. Then I go ride for a while, stop for a sandwich, come out 30 min later and hit the button, it fires when the crankshaft goes around half a turn.

Wow that engine looks clean.....I have always felt Yamaha engineer fine engines.
Good design and good maintenance probably trumps the specific "brand" of oil/filter.
Nice engine.

Check Ebay for a starter. They are the same starter the dealers sell. 1 Year warranty. I buy Polaris starters there all the time and have had little problems.

Looks nice. I used HDEO oils in Dad's 2-cylindert Honda tractor and after about 10 years of regular use it looked that clean as well.

did you really mean 5.6 miles on the clock?
grin.gif

ooopsie on the starter...use a hammer on it lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back