Penzoil Plat. 5w-20 vs. Amsoil 0w-20 for Acura Rsx

Status
Not open for further replies.
We own a Acura Rsx. I have used Amsoil xl 5w-20 and Mobil 1 5w-20. I like the 20 weight oil. I like what I read about Penzoil Platinum 5w-20 and the new Amsoil 0w-20. Oci's are 5000 to 7000 miles and 10 to 12 months, severe use. Combination of rural and urban driving.

Wouldn't spend the extra $$ on amsoil. Not if your only going to keep it in for 5000 to7000 miles.

7K+ severe use and 1 year? Use the Amsoil ASM with confidence for a full year, and no UOA. Use the PP with a UOA and possibly shorter OCI. You do the math, but difference is a fraction of a tank of fuel.

Forget all the oil warranties. Here is my advise for what it's worth.

Severe Service 7K change at 6 months with either the Platinum, Amsoil XL, or Mobil 1.

If your going to change it at 12 months, use the new Amsoil 0W20.

That's it.
cheers.gif

From what I have seen for Amsoil, Mobil, or Pennzoil based on UOA that is sound advice Johnny.

I just rejoined the AMSOIL legions myself. Bought locally this time and will probably go at least 6K and sample. 5W-30 ASL currently with a Motorcraft FL-300. Goodtimes.

Johnny is right.

The main benefit and purpose of using an oil like Amsoil is for extended drain intervals. For up to 6-7k miles, it does not matter what oil you use at all. They are all about the same.

Auto union, how long are your oci's with the penzoil 5w-20 or do you have the rsx-s?

By the way, how do you like the rsx? You definitely have a collector's car, with the rsx being discontinued this year.

I drive 2500-3000 miles a month. I like changing oil, but every month would be insane. I considered 4 month ocis, but it looks like 3 months ~8000 miles is safe....plus I have a huge stash of oil already. I have a lot of Mobil 1 0w-30 SL, that's nice stuff. I think plain SM dino, 5w-20s or synths can go 6000-8000 with ease. That's what a normal driver should do. I do all ocis by time, not miles. 2-3-4 times a year. There are many reasons, but 5w-20 for winters is nice. I do 4 month ocis on my woman's CRV, about 6000 mi. I use Clean 7500 for that car.
Anyway, mixed feeling on my RSX Base 5m. It needed stuff like strut fix and seat track. Freaking windshield came loose the day after I bought it and it rattled. It came loose again in 2 months. Pretty #@$%! about that. I had it a year, 30k miles. A nice performing car and the price was good. I'm coming from Audis...I think the interior of the RSX is good. Lots of kneeroom. Overall, I am happy because the car will last and for now I don't really want anything else. I would have got an Accord Coupe, VERY nice car/money, but no kneeroom at the center console. RSX keeps value well. Paid $19, owe $13 and the car is worth more, even after driving 30k with nothing down and Acura financing. $300/mo. Looked at a Civic too. Poor kneeroom, the ebrake is right there, stupid.

Auto-Union thanks for the information. Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the Rsx. We have been fortunate so far. The car belongs to the wife and she loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back