PEAK ELC @ W*M

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed at W*M the other day while strolling through the auto section, Peak Extended Life Coolant(Blue container w/the banner of FLAGS running across the top) full strength for $9.50/gal. I looked carefully for the 50/50 markings and couldn't fine it. They were in the last aisle toward the pet food...Should I jump on it?

There is a thread related to this topic with pics somewhere here. Bottom line, Wally Peak EL, though the 'label' looks similar to PGL is very likely the same as Peak Long Life sold at parts stores like AAP and AZ.

I would compare it to PGL and PPL sold at Pep Boys being the same.

As to your other question, I've never seen a Peak Global Life product at Wally. All I've seen are the universal products like Prestone AMM/LL and Peak EL. The WM coolant is most likely Prestone AMM/LL.

I believe that this product is the same as Peak LL and DOES contain 2-EHA (Dexclone) which is a gasket eating PLASTICIZER.

PGL and PPL are NOT 2-EHA and are more desireable in vehicles where the coolant comes in contact with the i/m gasket.

I did pick up 2 gallons of PGL 50/50 at WM (in a blue rather than gold jug) last year but I haven't seen it since.

Unfortunately, PGL full strength continues to be elusive.

I found the thread with pictures, no thanks to the search feature. And, it likely does contain 2 eha like Peak LL.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1481856#Post1481856

But, I'm not chicken little regarding the subject of 2eha. Having used unviversal Prestone AMM and Peak LL for ~5yrs in 2 Asian makes with no issues. IMO, regular maintenance, even with the Long Life universal coolants, will keep your system clean and working well.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I found the thread with pictures, no thanks to the search feature. And, it likely does contain 2 eha like Peak LL.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1481856#Post1481856

But, I'm not chicken little regarding the subject of 2eha. Having used unviversal Prestone AMM and Peak LL for ~5yrs in 2 Asian makes with no issues. IMO, regular maintenance, even with the Long Life universal coolants, will keep your system clean and working well.

Agreed.

I'm replacing the Dex in both my cars this year, even though though they both still look good...I figure a good flush every 2-3 years should keep the engine happy...

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I agree also..... especially in engines where the a/f doesn't contact the i/m gasket (like my Accord and Corolla).

I agree but there is the more important head gasket to be concerned about. Also I would not use a dexcool /dexclone like Peak LL/EL in a non-pressurized reservoir system.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Agreed.

I'm replacing the Dex in both my cars this year, even though though they both still look good...I figure a good flush every 2-3 years should keep the engine happy...
+1 And, put you ahead a large majority that don't do regular cooling system maintenance. JMO, but even with Dex if you shorten the interval to 2-3yrs, that provides an extra measure of insurance against dex and other cooling system issues.

fwiw, both the Asian systems I've flushed have non pressurized tank, never seen any sludge issues with universal AM/LL coolants. Systems clean as a whistle.

While at W*M, I compared the back labels of the PEAK ELC coolant w/ the Prestone AM&M. The Prestone clearly stated 2-EHA and the PEAK did not.

That's true, but Peak Long Life doesn't show 2eha either on the label. However, in an oft cited email from Peak to Bitog member tenderloin, peak says that LL does have 2eha while PGL does not. So if PLL is the same as Wally's PEL, which has been more or less accepted here, then it likely has 2eha.

Yeah I believe P LL and P EL are the same thing. They might have different colors of die, orange and amber respectively, but I think it is just a different name for a different retailer and the same formula.

Maybe that's Peak's plan to make the average person think they are getting Global lol. They couldn't have done a better job of having a confusing product line if they tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back