Peak and Pep Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a Pep Boys yesterday for the first time in months and noticed the following things.

They're now offering Extended and 'Orange' versions of their house brand Pro Line antifreeze. In reading the back, these new versions both list the Peak Long Life secret ingredient NJTSRN QT1 along with glycol.

Peak Long Life itself claims on its label to be 'manufactured' by Old World Industries, although none of us has been able to discover where Peak's antifreeze factory is, if it exists.

I also looked at their Final Charge diesel antifreeze, and it mentions the same contents as my Global Lifetime, namely glycol, sodium benzoate, and a long NJTSRN. They're also both borate, nitrite and phosphate free. Doesn't prove they are the same, but interesting nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
I was at a Pep Boys yesterday for the first time in months and noticed the following things.

They're now offering Extended and 'Orange' versions of their house brand Pro Line antifreeze. In reading the back, these new versions both list the Peak Long Life secret ingredient NJTSRN QT1 along with glycol.

No surprise, Old World Industries (parent company of Peak) makes the "house brand" antifreeze for most parts stores such as NAPA, Autogroan, Schlep Boyz, and many others.

Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer

This is similar to what I've been noticing as well. I believe Peak LL, EL, and any retailer housebrand that says, " NJTSRN QT1" are all one in the same and all are 2-EHA containing dexclones.

Quote:
Peak Long Life itself claims on its label to be 'manufactured' by Old World Industries, although none of us has been able to discover where Peak's antifreeze factory is, if it exists.

I believe Old World Industries purchased a manufacturer of ethyl glycol and it's derivatives a few years back. I don't have the link to that handy, but I think it's reasonable to assume Peak or Old World has a plant that is blending their antifreeze.

Quote:
I also looked at their Final Charge diesel antifreeze, and it mentions the same contents as my Global Lifetime, namely glycol, sodium benzoate, and a long NJTSRN. They're also both borate, nitrite and phosphate free. Doesn't prove they are the same, but interesting nonetheless.

This is also what I've been thinking that PGL is Final Charge and so it may be a supplier to a heavy duty OEM for factory fill. If it is true an OEM uses and recommends a version of PGL, then it gives me more confidence in it. I dont remember what the PGL secret inhibitor was listed under but I seem to remember it wasn't NJTSRN QT1 that Peak LL and it's variants have but a different NJTSRN number.

It's been also said, based on an email response from Peak/Old World, that Peak Professional Lifetime, sold (it seems) exclusively at PB is the same as Peak Global Lifetime.

There is a BOGO rebate for it form Peak good till the end of the month. If I needed to do a flush, I'd use it.

As for the company, as I said on another thread, I've read no FTC (or whatever), complaints regarding thier coolant products. Not that it means anything, but Peak is carried by the major auto parts stores AAP, AZ, and PB, so at least some of their coolant products are easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back