Opinions on Colt .45 Gold Cup Trophy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to buy my first firearm in a week or so. I grew up shooting my father's guns and competed for a couple years. I grew up shooting my father's Gold Cup National Match and the Gold Cup Trophy looks to be the same gun. I've pretty much got my heart set on this gun, definately going with a .45. Any opinions good or bad or how the Trophy compares to the National Match? Thanks in advance.

The Colt Gold Cup match pistols are first rate. I knew I had to have one after I bullseye'd a target at 50 yds on my first shot with a friend's gun. Can't vouch for the current guns though. Colt has been kinda weird for the last decade. Don't rule out Kimber, Springfield, and S&W. They all make match grade guns as well.

Kimbers have spotty quality control lately from what I've heard. If you are using it for home defense in mind, I would caution against it. These have a very light trigger pull with 0 slack/take up. Not that best thing for a pistol that may be used in a stressful situation.

1911s in general are finicky. Unless you're dropping dime on a $2000 Ed Brown or Wilson Combat, it will probably need some amount of tinkering to run 100% all the time.

Well ,,, I have a 1973 mfg date Gold Cup N.M. since new and I am most impressed with the Dan Wesson 1911 models, way way nicer triggers and build quality than any on the market in my opinion. I am thinking about getting one because you can never have too many 1911s. But there is something about the Colt name. If I put a Colt and Bushmaster AR15 on the table and asked anybody pick one as a gift,which one would be picked up? Not to slight bushmaster in any way.

Originally Posted By: AWESOMO4000
Kimbers have spotty quality control lately from what I've heard. If you are using it for home defense in mind, I would caution against it. These have a very light trigger pull with 0 slack/take up. Not that best thing for a pistol that may be used in a stressful situation.

1911s in general are finicky. Unless you're dropping dime on a $2000 Ed Brown or Wilson Combat, it will probably need some amount of tinkering to run 100% all the time.
One of my buds has 2 Wilson 1911s they are super nice but they cost $2700 last time I looked. My 1911s aren't finicky at all. I am kinda liking the plastic 9mms for some reason ,my son has some and the triggers don't feel as good as the 1911s but they shoot and run good enough and cost way less.

I have a '69 National Match. They are great guns...nothing feels better in my hands. Well, almost nothing.
wink.gif

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone shot both a National Match and a Trophy? The local store here does not have a Trophy in stock so I can't try it out ahead of time and I'm really wanting to buy this thing. In other words, I'm going to buy it, please make me feel good about it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back