One more question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

I have one more question... sorry, but you all have been super-helpful.

I have found it tough to get a cleaning rod through a barrel when using a brass jag. It just doesnt go into the bore easily. I have noticed that when pushing it through, sometimes it touches the walls of the barrel (exidenced by scrapes seen on the wall of the stainless steel rod), even though I have a brass bore protector around the rod. What is the best way to get the patch on a jag in through the bore without damaging the barrel? From my last thread, I understand that it is easy to ruin the accuracy of a barrel when using those rods. I try to cut the patches as small as possible, but it still doesnt help, the resistance I encounter is really severe; and I have the jag and patch sizes for the calubers that Im using... Im worried about cutting too small, as then the end of the stainless rod wouldnt be covered. It is really frustrating me... I dont usually have such issues with things.. and I have these issues regardless of which gun and which caliber it is! Im thinking of not using patches at all, and seriously just buying wool mops in bulk, thats how bad my technique or whatnot is.

Any info would be great. Thanks!

John

I use little squares of paper towel folded in half for 22cal's. For .30cal I use the 30cal plastic jeg and a bigger folded paper towel.
Cloth is just to thick a lot of the time. And it leaves lint.

paper towels dont leave lint?

Theyre good for applying oil too?

Do you use el cheapo towels or the good, fine-fiber towels? Perhaps the blue shop towels?

Thanks!

JMH

I don't use jags. As you've discovered, they can be too tight. That's why I wrap patches around bore brushes. The bristles push the patch up against the bore surface for good contact, yet will give as the bore squeezes. Cotton patches are just fine.

quote:

Originally posted by 416Rigby:
...I wrap patches around bore brushes.

I like that too, but have found that it reduces the diameter of my bore brushes to the point where I need new ones to just scrub the bore. No big deal, but I was surprised by this development...

$0.02,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back