Old plastic quart bottles from 1995, 1997. Questions on durability.

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
Thought I would share some old plastic quart’s from my late father’s workshop. Going by the few dates on the back one is marked 1995 (atf), the other is 1997. These bottles were stored indoors inside a non heated, non air conditioned small building about 250 square feet large in Central Texas. They have seen many heat cycles in excess of 100 degrees, and I believe some exposure to other unknown chemicals stored closeby.

After I cleaned them and let sit for a few days, I did not see any leaks, and squeezing them they are still pliable like a normal quart bottle. Does anyone have similar anicdotal observations, or perhaps actual studies that might shed some light on how long a bottle might last? I googled and saw plenty of water bottle information, but this seems to be more durable.

I do plan on using these, I have a large john deer riding mower and it’s due for a change. I saw someone use a denso filter in another thread which got me excited. The ATF is great for power steering, and QS for a push mower and air compressor.

IMG_4221.jpeg

IMG_4222.jpeg

Same with me. Found two 15 or 16 year old bottles I had forgotten about in my garage in Mexico when I was looking for top up oil. No leaks plastic still soft and pliable. Drained half out then shook and poured the rest in.

Those bottles are made of HDPE, high density polyethylene. It isn't known to degrade.

The outer jacket of outdoor telecom cables is made of polyethylene. Never specified if it's low or high density, I suspect high density. These cables can last upwards of 50 years.
thank you! I have more google leads to self educate now. :)

Thought I would share some old plastic quart’s from my late father’s workshop. Going by the few dates on the back one is marked 1995 (atf), the other is 1997. These bottles were stored indoors inside a non heated, non air conditioned small building about 250 square feet large in Central Texas. They have seen many heat cycles in excess of 100 degrees, and I believe some exposure to other unknown chemicals stored closeby.

After I cleaned them and let sit for a few days, I did not see any leaks, and squeezing them they are still pliable like a normal quart bottle. Does anyone have similar anicdotal observations, or perhaps actual studies that might shed some light on how long a bottle might last? I googled and saw plenty of water bottle information, but this seems to be more durable.

I do plan on using these, I have a large john deer riding mower and it’s due for a change. I saw someone use a denso filter in another thread which got me excited. The ATF is great for power steering, and QS for a push mower and air compressor.

View attachment 167479

View attachment 167481
I’m wondering what’s happened with the Tuff Guard oil. Bottle looks darn’d UGLY

I’m wondering what’s happened with the Tuff Guard oil. Bottle looks darn’d UGLY
it was next to some big boxes of miracle grow, and insect killer that were about the same age. The miracle grow was growing on its own and staining the shelves. The insect killer was leaking. It was alarming when I found them. I've actually been avoiding the workshop for 7 years now. I can finally move on since my father passed. This winter the workshop will get a thorough top to bottom cleaning and I will start re doing things to my liking.

A few more finds from my dads workshop, 2002 dates. I love the translucent bottles. This is some good stuff and will go into something OPE for an annual run.

I used the original oils in this post for 1 hour in a craftsman riding mower, it was probably a waste for only that long but I wanted to get rid of the very old stock. I used the middle ATF bottle to treat the floorboards in a utility trailer.

1692541184387.png

1692541213849.png

A few more finds from my dads workshop, 2002 dates. I love the translucent bottles. This is some good stuff and will go into something OPE for an annual run.

I used the original oils in this post for 1 hour in a craftsman riding mower, it was probably a waste for only that long but I wanted to get rid of the very old stock. I used the middle ATF bottle to treat the floorboards in a utility trailer.

View attachment 173939

View attachment 173940
I had a bunch of those that I sold to collector while back. Nice finds!

I'm using 2 quarts of Pennzoil platinum from 2005, mixed with 2 1/2 quarts Mobil 1. Grey bottles.found the Pennzoil almost year ago at local napa.clearamce $3.74 quart. 540 miles in on the mix,car running perfect.

Back