Oil choice for winter OCI?

I’d have said QS Full Syn. 5w30 due CCS viscosity 3800 & (-50 Celsius/-58 Fahrenheit) pour point. That’s what’s in the wife’s Durango this winter and recently had a few negative Fahrenheit mornings and it started fine.

I’d have said QS Full Syn. 5w30 due CCS viscosity 3800 & (-50 Celsius/-58 Fahrenheit) pour point. That’s what’s in the wife’s Durango this winter and recently had a few negative Fahrenheit mornings and it started fine.
Good idea, I’ll tell him to maybe consider that soon.

I've been using the M1 Euro 0W40 in a variety of vehicles now. The pickiest of the bunch, is the 351W in my truck, which I installed a comp cams XE250H and the matching lifters in going on 11 years ago now. These lifters, in the cold are the noisiest, tickiest things I've ever heard and I've re done the preload adjustment a few times over the years, the old cam and lifters never made a peep on startup, and 10Wxx or 15Wxx oils in the winter it just sounds horrible until it runs for a minute. 5W30 it did pretty good on, but the 0W40 the lifters hardly make any noise on startup and the oil pressure hot in the summer is slightly higher than running 15w40 as well. Not to mention the starter cranked it over on a 14 degree day with an almost 9 year old battery like it was summertime compared to 5W30 conventional, I was surprised.

Every engine I've put that oil in that called for a 5W30 or 5W20 was noticeably smoother sounding during operation and startup and it's cut the oil consumption either in half or eliminated it on a couple of them. I think this oil does pretty good for an all-around all year do everything viscosity.

Back