Noria Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had several vendors tell us how their oil will save us money, and to prove it, they take temperature and amp readings on a piece of equipment before and after their oil is used. To isolate the effects of different oils, we decided to take these readings before and after changing out the oil in a piece of equipment with the same brand of oil.

We found that by flushing the gearbox and replacing the oil, the amp draw on 2-hp motors driving gearboxes will decrease by 1.7% and the temperature will decrease by as much as 10%. (Temperature is harder to pin down because while we can duplicate the machine parameters, we cannot stabilize the atmospheric conditions.) Using this information, we are able to more accurately evaluate the possible benefits of a new brand of oil. (Submitted by Bill Jacobyansky, Maintenance Manager, Guardian Industries. Thanks Bill.) I feel this isperhaps coming from some very used oil with perhaps sludge and little additives left. But the truth are in the details.
smile.gif

railball, thanks for that.

I was stuck the other week, with a recalcitrant bearing on a 2500hp fan.

ten years ago, the shaft design was changed to facilitate bearing replacement, and a larger bearing fitted, that is underloaded enough to skid and cause heating.

Normally runs 120 degrees C, so it's running a synth oil.

This fan crept up over two days to 128 degrees, and was showing no vibration issues.

So I tried changing the oil into a clean container, and oil analysis...they found nothing.

Immediately, we dropped 10 degrees C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back