Nitrile ADBV in Canadian Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if there is any major issues with nitrile ADBV in extreme Canadian cold or not that big of a deal.

I know Nitrile gets very hard and inflexible... But people on this site have probably had a lot of experience with it....

Is it going to give me start up clatter and dry starts (oil drains back to pan) on really cold days? Can the ADBV break in cold weather? Or is nitrile "good enough"?

Just thought I'd mention it is a horizontal application on my Fit.

Thanks!

I haven't had problems with it. When I had my 1983 LTD midsize, it specified the FL1A (nitrile ADBV) and the CFL1 (no ADBV). That car never spent a night in the garage and did a lot of -40 C starts. I stuck with either the FL1A or the AC equivalent (with nitrile ADBV) and had no problems. I never saw any silicone ADBVs in those days. I prefer silicone, but nitrile certainly works, and it's better than no ADBV.

I still regularly use the FL1A on my F-150, with the Wix 51515 (with silicone) thrown in once in a while. Both the F-150 and the LTD were horizontally mounted; the G is, too, incidentally.

While I'm in nw NJ we still get single digit and below 0*F temps some winters. When I had my 1989 F-150 with the 4.9 six it started great with the Motorcraft FL1A. With the Fram PH8 it was horribly and painfully noisey. Both used nitrile ADBV's. That was a horizontaly mounted filter. I believe in general if you go for long OCI's then the silicone is better, could be wrong though. Ford spec's silicone ADBV's on my 2002 F-150, FL-820S, and my 1996 Contour Zetec, FL-200S, which is no longer produced and now spec's a FL-300 with the nitrile, confusing isn't it
21.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back