Nice replacement power cords for tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to find a source for replacement power cords that are nearly as nice as the orig. on newer power tools. At hardware stores they only sell 6ft grounded cords with a rigid (i.e. [censored]) pvc insulator jacket.

Specifically, I'm wanting to replace a cord on a 3/8 low-profile craftsman pro. drill/driver that I got a few years ago. Something like:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605...mp;sName=Drills

The cord is like 12 ft. long, non-grounded, and really flexible. My dog chewed though midway up the cord. My solder/ taping job has held OK until recently. Now I just want to fix it right. My dog isn't that stupid anymore either :)

I'm more than happy to DIY with pieces/parts too... I just don't know what I need and where to get it.

Thanks

Will an orange extension cord work?

I prefer cutting them and using them for my tools. You might even find a blue "cold weather one" for more flexibility and prettier color.

Last edited:
I agree with bepperb, just use an extension cord. You could also buy bulk SO cord with a rubber jacket and add a nice heavy duty male plug on the end. I recommend using 12 AWG if it will fit into the housing/strain relief. The only reason you might not be able to is if the strain relief is molded onto the cord.

Originally Posted By: KeithG

I'm more than happy to DIY with pieces/parts too... I just don't know what I need and where to get it.

Home Depot and Lowes both sell rubber-insulated SJ cord by the foot. They also sell the cord caps of various quality. Some are very heavy-duty and cost about $5 a piece.

What about the power cords that come with PCs? I have a pile of them. Everything comes with a power cord, and I don't throw them away when the pc/printer/whatever is bad.

I have bought really nice SJEOW power cords for my tools from McMaster. My cats love to chew through cords; they can destroy one in the time it takes for a bathroom break.

Unfortunately they aren't 12 ft; would 9 ft be OK?

Code:

16/2 SJEOW 6' 7248K25 $ 5.88

16/2 SJEOW 9' 7248K26 $ 7.04

16/3 SJEOOW 6' 70355K33 $ 7.97

16/3 SJEOOW 9' 70355K34 $ 9.96

14/3 SJEOOW 6' 70355K35 $ 9.05

14/3 SJEOOW 9' 70355K36 $10.88

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back