newer Nissan's CVT's

the 3rd generation nissan CVT started 2020.
i have the versa... and the cvt is TINY....
the power band available is insane...torque at any speed, the problem is, its constantly trying to downshift instead of idle coasting . as soon as you take your foot off the gas its like somebody pulled the plug somewhere. lol on the highway its great till you get some strong wind. mine once shot up to 5K RPMs, cruise control on at 70 mph , on flat ground ... and STAYED there over 3 minutes. it just did not seem good when i could maintain same speed manually at 2200 RPMs.

the manual states change CVT fluid every 5 years or 60K miles, which is also the cutoff for the CVT warranty .

eh...

on a positive note, it appears swapping the CVT for another unit looks easier than previous models... lol
If you're waiting 60K to change the fluid, it's too late by the time you get around to changing it.

I had a rental 2008 or 2009 sentra that would randomly hit the rev limiter just cruising on flat ground for some reason. But it was a rental and lived a very hard life, no doubt.

Change the fluid every 30k miles and you’ll be fine. Many, many people buy and drive Rogues with no issues. They are great cars.

My 2016 had 155k miles on the original transmission.
I concur, my parents are on their second Rogue. The first one was an '08 and their current is a '15, and no issues with either CVT. Here's the best part, my dad drives with both feet! 😲

I used to think CVT's were pretty much a bad idea. Then I did a rebuild of one of the early 2000ish Jatco's.
The part I thought was the weakest link was the variators and the belt. Yes some bad ideas in that old system like using the sliding balls etc. but the materials and fluid in relation to the pulleys and belt, heat treats and all, very impressive. Lots of room for other improvements, in the variator parts, but those wear surfaces are fantastic. The huge down fall are the materials used for valving and is most always the cause of the major failures in them, especially the flow control valve, its not in the valve body, its in the pump body and requires transmission removal and splitting it.

Change the fluid every 30k miles and you’ll be fine. Many, many people buy and drive Rogues with no issues. They are great cars.

My 2016 had 155k miles on the original transmission.
The track record speaks for itself. I’ve also driven a brand new one as a rental and it was failing under 50k miles. Yes, it’s a rental car, but I’ve never encountered a modern automatic failing at that kind of mileage personally. I don’t see the reason to make excuses for what is obviously a bad design (Jatco). Many people buy Rogues for reasons unknown to me, but they probably don’t hold on to them forever either. Most new car buyers don’t.

Back