Newbie question, what filter flows the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to build a high hp vette, and wanted to get some advice on what oil filter to go with. Obviously I want a good filtration, but flow is also very important. I know the pure one has great filtration, but poor flow. I have read good things about the K&N M1 and Duraguard AC. Any advice would be helpful

welcome.gif

Usually flow rates are posted on the various filter company websites. Off hand, I know Fleetguard filters flow pretty good as do Wix, but may not be true across all filters they make. Also, synthetic media may/probably flow (alot) better.

Anyway, that's the short answer. Stick around and some of the sites filter aficionados will give you much more specific information.

You generally give up filter efficiency in order to get more flow.
That said, K&N has high flow but a lower effeciency rating.
Widely available too.

I did a filter study for my new vehicle and found it's not really possible to 'perfectly' generalize across filter lines.

You really need to do a evaluation of the specific part number of each brand and get feedback from others who have real experience with your application. In your case I would go to vette specific sites and I'm sure there are a lot of them.

These comments aside. I have read that the AC Delco 'UltraGuard' may still be available for vette's and was preferred by many. I found AC Delco 'DuraGuard'was using Champion Labs Ecore for my filter and read media getting sucked into the outlet hole causing oil starvation in BIG BLOCK application running 20W-50.

Otherwise you are 'generally' correct (I Believe) on PureOne filtration and flow. M1 flow you need to research, but in my application it was good but not great flow. K&N good flow but porous.

So I suggest looking at UltraGuard (above url was picked at random) and using K&N as off-the-shelf back-up. Do your home work as it's your engine and $$$.

No links to a non-paying sponsors website. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, the data from various sources over the years seems to suggest, again, in general, that Wix/Napa Gold and Purolator Premium Plus filters provide a good balance of flow and efficiency. (not to mention quality construction)

There was a study done a few years back that I found on the internet that showed the flow rates and filtration of each filter on the market, does anyone know where I can find it. Thanks

Quote:

I plan to build a high hp vette, and wanted to get some advice on what oil filter to go with. Obviously I want a good filtration, but flow is also very important. I know the pure one has great filtration, but poor flow. I have read good things about the K&N M1 and Duraguard AC. Any advice would be helpful

Gary Allen did some work with Pure One filters and found that after 9,000 or 10,000 miles of use there was almost no pressure differential across the filter to kick in the bypass (after warm up). Kind of kicks the flow arguement in the butt!

Ugly3,

The info you referred to from Gary Allen on Pure Ones. Is it on this site? I would like to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back