Newbie Q: Parameters known, now WHICH grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Great forum! As a newbie here I've already learned quite a bit about oils. I did my homework on grease too, but am still not sure what to pick for my new Guzzi (the grease is mainly for the shaft drive). Grease experts here could surely help with suggestions.
thumbsup2.gif

So here's what they recommend in the manual:

only a grease based on saponified lithium, class 2, penetration 265/295, drop point cca 180˚C (355˚F), and it should not contain MoS2 (molybdenum).

A while ago I got a small grease gun which came with an all-black cartridge of unknown grease. Recently I bought some grease that is hydroxy-lithium based (it doesn't say lithium soap or complex). It also is class 1 1/2 instead of 2. It does have the recommended drop point (177˚C).

Another grease I saw is this one:

3pack31.jpg

As you know, it's synthetic. Grade 2. Drop point over 500˚ F, but "Wide operating temperature range". The blurb and customer reviews sound like this grease is the best thing. Water and environmental chemicals resistance is a factor for a m/c shaft drive that's far more small and fragile than on a truck or tractor.

I also have a jar of Bel-Ray waterproof grease (also greenish).

Anyway, if you think of suitable options I'd appreciate it greatly.
cheers3.gif

Best,

tm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back