New tires wearing funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set of new tires with 5 on them on my factory rims. I just had them put back on my car. The shop didn't rotate them and when I run my hand on the front tires they feel chopped. I just had it realigned to. The shop said I should leave them were they are at for another 5 because they will smooth out and wear more evenly on the front. Is that true? I always thought tires on front of a small front wheel drive car took more abuse.

Rotate them, front to back...

FWD cars will eat front tires...

Rear mounting will smooth them out...

If the edges are cupping, add 4-5 psi. Don't exceed the amount on the sidewall.

What car, fwd rwd awd , how many miles on the tires? More info = better feedback!

Originally Posted By: Mark72
I have a set of new tires with 5 on them on my factory rims. I just had them put back on my car. The shop didn't rotate them and when I run my hand on the front tires they feel chopped. I just had it realigned to. The shop said I should leave them were they are at for another 5 because they will smooth out and wear more evenly on the front. Is that true? I always thought tires on front of a small front wheel drive car took more abuse.

First, it is quite normal for drive tires to get some "Heel and Toe Wear". It occurs because the action of a tread element entering the footprint is different than when it leaves the footprint - and any torque makes this worse.

But excessive toe will exaggerate the wear as well. Put a different way, some is normal, but too much is usually caused by too much toe.

Yes, putting the tires in a different wheel position will put a different wear pattern on top of what is already there, and that tends to smooth out heel and toe wear a bit.

But cross rotating will help even more.

And don't forget: Doing an alignment doesn't magically fix tire wear. Once the wear pattern starts, you can't go back and add rubber back onto the tire. After an alignment, you get a new wear pattern on top of what was already there.

Rotate them like back tire to same side front position and then front tires to opposite side rear position for optimal wear and mileage.

Its an 01 Nissan Sentra 2.0. I've inner tie rods and control arms replaced. struts and shocks are 7 months old and have been inspected and are fine. Just had it aligned after the work. did this before putting my new tires back on. but they didn't rotate them. they put them back on where they took them off in the fall. but said I should just leave them because the fronts would wear down smoother. It just doesnt make sense becauuse don't the front wheels on a front wheel drive car take more abuse ?

you have wrote a very poor original post. Its impossible for anyone to answer with accuracy without proper background.

also you mention them putting your "new tires" back on... but they have wear patterns so are they new or used? how many miles? how many miles with bad suspension parts? etc

Its not surprising your tires have some uneven wear, but your lack of detail and background means you wont get any kind of specific answers.

Last edited:
Put your old tires back on:

Originally Posted By: Mark72
255/55/ R18 (size) Asking 150.00 for the set / OBO. Tires have less than 14500 miles on them. And were original to the car they were taken off of. 2 tires are 8/32 and 2 are 9/32, all 4 evenly worn They have been traded out for a performnace tire and have no reason to keep them. Tire and specs can be viewed here: online..just google it or view on tire rack.

Well, Rand was a little indelicate, but he's right. The posts are confusing because the details seem to contradict each other.

So, Mark, if I am getting this right, you had some work on on your car, got it aligned, then got new tires. Those tires were on the car for some amount of miles (how many?), never rotated, then they were taken off for winter (?), then they have been put back on in the same position when they came off - and you are wondering both about the wear on the tires (Question #1) and why the shop put the tires back into the same position instead of doing a rotation (Question #2).

So if I am correct - and you need to correct me if I'm not - then the answer to question #2 is that, perhaps, there is enough wear difference on the tires that the shop felt the deeper treaded tires needed to go on the rear - and that just happened to be where they came off.

But question #2 has included a word that I think is key to understanding why you asked that question - abuse - and the thinking would be that you would want to even out the abuse. - Right?

Well, sort of. There is some logic to that if the tires are being regularly rotated - BUT - there is a point where the "abuse" is so bad, that putting abused tires on the rear is less safe than putting them on the front.

Put a different way, you want the best tires on the rear.

And I think I have answered Question # 1 earlier.

The problem I see is that many, too many people see any "use" (be it tread wear, or oil consumption) as "abuse"...and want a solution to a problem that isn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back