New PEAK EcoShield 15yr / 350,000mi universal antifreeze

ecoshield.jpg

Here's another universal super long-life antifreeze that claims to last up to 15 years / 350,000 miles.

https://www.owi.com/retail/brands/p...t/all-makes-all-models-coolant/peak-ecoshield

Thoughts?

The container says "15 years/350K guaranteed protection" but the PDS says "10 years /300K protection with a complete drain and fill". I'd stick to their regular PEAK 10X formula.

I just don't see myself being an early adopter on this. I really don't need a 350,000 mile coolant, LOL.

I'll stick with Peak 10/150 "Long Life" (the predecessor to 10x).. which is starting to be hard to find.

I think it's all marketing, there is probably little to no difference in those formulations. 300k, 350k, 400k... Just Peak and Prestone trying to "one up" each other on time/miles. They know the typical user will never reach those miles without a cooling system repair that requires a top off to refesh the system, if not a full drain/refill. That claim of 95% renewable ingredients applies to really any coolant, because any ethylene glycol coolant can be potentially recycled. It's just "feel good" marketing that you're buying something to help the environment. Same thing with these claims of "cleans and prevents corrosion," any quality coolant does that including the cheap house brands like Supertech and Napa 1EXT.

Kind of reminds me of the FRS/GMRS walkie talkies. When those things first came out in the 1990s, companies mentioned realistic range approximations like 2 miles. I remember this on a Motorola Talkabout set I bought, one of the first ones ever made. Somehow over the 2000s, the various manufacturers all started using the unrealistic, exaggerated ranges like 20 miles, 30 miles, 35 miles, etc. Absolute perfect conditions range (like mountain peak to mountain peak), but nothing the typical user will see in day to day use in standard environments.

Probably fine, as long as the same fluid is used when replacing a hose or water pump. I only use OEM coolant. Drain and fill every 100-150k. 2-3x during its lifespan. Not bad.

It's propylene glycol, only available in 50/50 premix, and only available at Walmart.

They used to offer a propylene glycol coolant under the name Sierra :unsure:

SDS lists only Ethylene Glycol and water. Does that mean it does not have 2-EHA - because they have to list if it does?
When 10X first intro'd some years ago now, emailed Peak/Old World to confirm all info and where it would be sold. It's a LL OAT AF with no 2eha as spec sheet says.* 'Imo', it's basically a much more readily available, longer service interval, lower priced version of a bitog fav, Peak Global Lifetime. As for SDS, ones I've seen show 2eha if it's used as inhibitor, e.g. Peak LL. In 10X case spec sheet confirms no 2eha used.

As for topic, looks like one these "Eco-friendly" AFs like Low Tox and Sierra. The distinction "Peak says" is the propylene glycol used is bio-based vs petroleum based for others. That it's only available as a premix, not a strong selling point when compared to others like Sierra that offer full strength.

Back