New mountain bike pedals, which type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some ancient ritchey clipless pedals and run them a bit loose for easy exits. I didn't use them for DH racing though, but for aggresive XC they are fine.
Just practice a bit with clipless and you should be OK, do some turns on grass progressively harder until the front end washes and twist your foot out. You'll learn alot about weighting for turns and how to get your inside foot unclipped quickly!

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Any thoughts on the Shimano PD-M545?

They're great. For certain things, Shimano is topps, IMO. I like Sram drivetrains for the MOST part, but I love Shimano pedals, and cranksets more than any other. I just run PD-M520's on my Cannondale, they've never let me down (my 3rd set - 3 different bikes)

The best Clipless MTB pedal available is the Time ATAC, IMO. I've been riding in the woods since '88, and have been through a few different pedals, including Shimano. I'm on the second set of Time ATAC Carbon's and will never ride any other. And ski wax works better than grease for easy entry/exit.

What do you guys think about float? My ritchey's use the shimano cleat and have very little float, which I think has caused me some knee pain in the past. I also used to run my cleats to close to my toe so I had some pain on the back of my knee.
I guess what I'd recommend is to get a proper fitting on the bike at a good mountain bike shop if you are going to ride alot, or atleast read up on it. You can cause yourself some unneccessary pain alot of different ways with how the bike is setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back