NEW Amsoil Brake Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: STG
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Pablo (or ANY of the dealers on here); any more info on this??

I am really curious as to who is sub contracting this stuff for A.J.?
With the 600, did they purposely target the rate/speed of hygroscopicity to avoid the need to CONSTANTLY bleed/flush the system like other racing/high temp brake fluids (when used for a street application)???

The rate of hydroscopicity is not in itself an indicator of brake fluid longevity.

I asked an engineer at Continental Automotive Systems USA about the differences in Ate brake fluid performance and was given a rather suprising answer regarding brake fluid water absorption.

Ate Super Blue / Typ 200 is Ate's longest-lasting brake fluid not because it absorbs less moisture, but because it can handle more moisture and still perform better than other Ate fluids.

As it turns out, Super Blue / Type 200 actually absorbs more moisture faster than any other Ate DOT 3 or 4 fluid.

It's not the rate of moisture absorption or saturation that affects a brake fluid's longevity or performance. It's how a given fluid handles the moisture it has absorbed.

I received a short e-mail outlining this:

Stan, it was a pleasure speaking with you about our ATE brake products and we certainly appreciate your business.

I spoke to our technical staff about your question and this was their response. I hope that this information will be of some benefit to you.

Question: Can we provide information about the moisture absorption rate of all of your different types of ATE brake fluid?

As the moisture absorption rate is dependent on external conditions such as temperature, moisture content, area of the absorbing fluid surface and depth of the absorbing fluid layer, it is not reasonable to define moisture absorption rates for any of these conditions explicitly.

The absorption rate under comparable conditions is the least for ATE DOT 3 and increases for the following brake fluids respectively: ATE DOT 4 SL, ATE Super DOT 4, ATE DOT 4 SL.6, ATE Typ 200 / ATE Super Blue Racing.

However, the boiling point depression caused by the water absorption is the least for ATE Typ 200 / ATE Super Blue Racing and the highest for ATE DOT 3.

In conclusion, these two effects moving in opposite directions cause the well-known dependence between boiling point and water content and the superior behavior of e.g. ATE Typ 200 compared to ATE DOT 3 despite of its higher moisture absorption rate.

Donald James
Marketing
Aftermarket - North America
Continental Automotive Systems

YES, THANK YOU STG for this helpful info!!
I have heard this same hygroscopicity explanation before for Ate's (and others') fluids. I must have forgotten it over the years.
LOL.gif

This is why so many autocrossers/open trackers/HDPE people use this stuff in daily driven, dual purpose cars. (As well as that they can tell when the system is fully flushed on a complete change by switching between the two different color, but same spec, Type 200/Super Blue Ate fluids.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
As for who the blender is, I have no idea. Why the big desire to know? It's Amsoil's formula, that's all I know. If I knew this information and was under no obligation to keep it secret I would tell BITOG.

Pablo;
It was purely curiosity, nothing else. I really do not need to know.
I FULLY trust A.J., his staff, engineers, tribologists, etc.!!!
I expect that they would only hire the best possible sub contractors, and put an EXCELLENT product out on the market.

And:

Quote:
DOT 4 OSHA HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS (29 CFR 1910.1200)
Component CAS# Weight%
2, 5,8, 11-Tetraoxatridecan-13-ol mixed esters with boric acid 176022-80-3 >65.0 - Triethylene glycol monomethyl ether 112-35-6 >15.0% - Monoethanolamine 141-43-5 >0.5% - 1.5%

Quote:
DOT 4 OSHA HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS (29 CFR 1910.1200)
Component CAS# Weight%
Triethylene glycol monobutyl ether 143-22-6 >40.0 - Polyethylene glycol monobutyl ether 9004-77-7 >1.0 - Poly (ethylene oxide) 25322-68-3 Triethylene glycol monomethyl ether 112-35-6 Tetraethylene glycol 112-60-7 Triethylene glycol. 112-27-6 Diethylene glycol monobutyl ether 112-34-5 Polyethylene glycol monomethyl ether 9004-74-4 Diethylene glycol 111-46-6 Pentaethylene glycol 4792-15-8 Diisopropanolamine 110-97-4 Sodium hydroxide 1310-73-2 div>

Originally Posted By: Pablo
What about Mobil brake fluid?

I didn't know they made one. Pablo, you should post this in the braking section. Might get more attention. If you haven't already done so.

I am not so picky about brake fluid. My applications do not encounter extreme conditions, and I do not race. I am satisfied with an exchange of the fluid every few years with an approved (DOT 3/4) fluid.

That said, I'd like to see Amsoil come up with an Amsoil quality PSF that is suitable for use in Honda PS units. In my ignorance I don't see why such a fluid couldn't be somewhat universal. Ex, it would work in many GM PS systems too. Many PS manufacturers specify ATF, so Amsoil already has those covered.

You know how many BITOGers dislike being bound to OEM-only fluids. Amsoil has Honda covered with ATF, so how about PSF? Or will PSF soon be displaced by electric assist units?

During a little tour in souther Pa this afternoon I stopped at our DC in Lancaster and picked up a case. I've got a bunch of maintenance to do in a few weeks on some older vehicles and a brake flush should also be be done on one.

I figured what the heck, I'll give this try and see how it holds up. Am using this in old C50 Chev truck of my brothers with juice brakes. The darn thing is a corn hauler and gets the living snot beat out of it.

Ford calls for Dot3 brake fluid for my truck. I've changed the pads to carbon kevlar and the rotors to slotted ones. I get different braking performance from some improvement above stock to way above stock. The pedal feels more solid at times but not always. The brake lines are stock and 6 yrs. old. I have stainless steel braided brake lines and will change the brake fluid when I install them. It is also an ABS system that works great. Will the Amsoil dot3 be of any help? I do need heavy braking to stop this heavy vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back