Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who owns one?

I am thinking about buying one for taking to class. My 15" Inspiron 1520 is too heavy and noisy.

One netbook I am consider is the new HP Mini 210 HD:

Quote:

Mini 210 HD Edition series

VV074AV

* silver crystal
* Genuine Windows 7 Starter 32-bit
* Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor N450 (1.66GHz, 512KB) with Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150
* 1GB DDR2 System Memory (1 Dimm)
* 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
* 10.1" diagonal HD LED HP BrightView Infinity Widescreen Display (1366 x 768)
* HP Mini Webcam
* Wireless-G Card with Bluetooth
* Broadcom(R) Crystal HD Enhanced Video accelerator with ArcSoft TotalMedia(TM) Theatre
* HP Color Matching Keyboard
* 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
* Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
* HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Currently, this custom configuration is $475, which is way too much. I will wait until the price drops below $350 before I purchase.

Does anyone have any experience with netbooks? What should I look for? I know I want a higher-resolution screen, HD capabilities, low/no noise, Windows 7 and a webcam.

Thanks!

Problem IMO is keyboard size... What is the matter with pencil and paper for class?

Any real use and the form factor is inconvenient...

I'd rather look for an ultralight In a more normal size so as to not have to strain too much. They really are only good for net browsing or movie watching vice real work...

16:9 screens are not suitable for business use; they sell well though :) It will take a good while until the Consumer Masses realize how well they have been had. Better yield ratio for manufacturers. Wait return of 'classic' or 'ideal' format in a few years.

Yeah, I wouldnt recommend one for anything where you are planning on typing a lot. I would get something like maybe a 13".
But, I like my ASUS, if you decide you do want one.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Problem IMO is keyboard size... What is the matter with pencil and paper for class?

Any real use and the form factor is inconvenient...

I'd rather look for an ultralight In a more normal size so as to not have to strain too much. They really are only good for net browsing or movie watching vice real work...

The keyboard is about 92% of a full-sized keyboard. The newer ones just keep getting better and better.

I don't always bring my laptop to class, only sometimes. Pencil and paper is probably the most responsible thing to do. But having a smaller computer for the library would be handy.

Here is a thread on my wife's that I bought.

Acer netbook

Each and every time I use it I'm impressed. Very nice unit. EXCELLENT battery life and it is the only computer that my wife uses now.

Bill

I would like to get one myself. The laptop I bought back a ways is a 14 inch.
I thought anything bigger would be too much. Well even it's too much. A smaller one would be better.

We've got an MSI one and a Asus one at home. Both have been great (except the first Asus had to be returned due to HDD making strange noises).

I like my netbook. I'm running it on Ubuntu 9.10 because Win7 wasn't an option at the time.

My HP mini110 has a 16gig solid state hard drive that is plenty for webbing and such. Silent!

Netbook for class isn't that useful. The keyboard is too small to type on and the screen is going to hurt your eyes in a few hours. Bring your laptop if you already have one, or better yet USE YOUR PENCIL AND PAPER to jog down notes, because you can still read them if you lose your hard drive or ran out of battery, and paper is easier on your eyes than any screen out there.

You can always increase the font size, especially in Win7. I find that 104% or 125% scale for screens, the fonts are nicer looking IMO, and easy on the eyes.

Have you looked at the 12" Netbooks or are those out of the price range you're looking for?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Have you looked at the 12" Netbooks or are those out of the price range you're looking for?

A 12" netbook is like a 17" laptop-- it defeats the purpose of portable computing.

If I was willing to pay for a 12" netbook, I would instead purchase a 13" MBP or a HP Envy.

I have an Acer 10.1" netbook with Windows XP. I use it every day at home to browse the web and check email while sitting in my recliner, and it is great for that. I would NOT want to have to do any work or take notes on it.

FWIW, Tigerdirect.com currently has some great deals on some 13" laptops.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Netbooks are worthless to ME unless they have a track point mouse - i hate freeking touch pads!

I use an external wireless mouse typically. I hate any kind of built-in netbook/notebook mouse.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Netbook for class isn't that useful. The keyboard is too small to type on and the screen is going to hurt your eyes in a few hours. Bring your laptop if you already have one, or better yet USE YOUR PENCIL AND PAPER to jog down notes, because you can still read them if you lose your hard drive or ran out of battery, and paper is easier on your eyes than any screen out there.

+1

The netbook is just that, for doing some facebook, web surfing and email on the go. Anyone who thinks that a netbook can serve properly as a regular computer, and provide proper ergonomics, prevention of eye strain, etc. is fooling themself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back