need recommendations for St. Louis area restaurants plz

dnewton3

Staff member
ALL -

Can I get some info regarding good restaurants in the St. Louis area? I'll be specific ...

I'm going to be at a weekend conference in St. Louis soon and I will be staying near the airport. I'd like to get dinner reservations near the airport; don't want to drive much further than 10-20 minutes or so, if possible. Would like to find a nice upscale place; steaks or Italian, etc. Doesn't need to be 5-star rated, but want a good clean place with a safe area.

Let me hear about what you know please. It obviously will be helpful if the intel is timely and relevant; not something from your experiences several years ago.

Last edited:
Osaka Sushi in Granite City, Illinois is amazing. I lived there for 3 years and this was my favorite place in the entire metro, outstanding quality for the price you pay. It may be farther than you want to go but it is an easy drive to get there from anywhere in the area.

Kreis’ is an old school steak place known for their prime rib. Lots of wealthy old people from Frontenac and Ladue make it a regular stop. It’s fairly dark and quiet when I’ve been and is pretty well cleared out by 8 pm.

I’d recommend Annie Gunn’s in Chesterfield (25 minutes from the airport) or Olive and Oak in Webster Groves (20ish minutes) over Kreis’ unless you just love prime rib.

Edit-I also like Stoney River in Chesterfield a lot but would probably drive the extra 2 minutes for Annie Gunn’s. Can’t go wrong with either of those.

The demographic around the airport isn’t conducive to nicer restaurants so it’s worth it to drive a bit.

Cunetto's on the Hill. Second generation family owned Italian restaurant. I go there every time that I'm in St. Louis.

18 minutes from the airport.

I don't know that I'd necessarily want to hunt out something near the airport, but that's just me. As mentioned above, it's not necessarily the greatest part of town.

IMO, you can't go wrong going to The Hill. I like Zia's, but have been several times to Favazza's and Rigazzis. I can highly recommend all three. The Hill is the Italian neighborhood in town and I'd describe all the food I've had there as being authentic but with a twist sort of unique to the area. The biggest is they use a lot of Provel cheese, something that's sort of unique to the area. The Hill and the area around it is a very safe and also very walkable area. It's also near Forest Park, which is very nice and also has a lot of excellent(and free) attractions.

If you want a real drive out into the middle of nowhere, Popeye's Chophouse in St. Rose, IL is probably my favorite steak place in the area. It's a solid hour from the airport I'd guess, though.

All of these are what I'd call recent comments-I've been to all of the restaurants I list above within the last 6 months. We had planned to go to Favazzas on Saturday but only sort of decided at the last minute and couldn't get a reservation at a reasonable time.

I only have a year and a half to claim in the area, but my wife has lived here all her life. She has a lot of Italian blood from both directions, so that's where tend to end up for "nice" restaurants.

One last one to add to the list that's not terribly far from the Airport, and that is Lewis and Clark's in Old St. Charles. It's actually closer to the airport than The Hill(10-15 minutes). Old St. Charles itself is very interesting with brick streets, etc, and again is very walkable. There are a couple of restaurants through there. Lewis and Clark's brands itself as "American Restaurant" and has a good variety of good food.

Last edited:
ALL -

Can I get some info regarding good restaurants in the St. Louis area? I'll be specific ...

I'm going to be at a weekend conference in St. Louis soon and I will be staying near the airport. I'd like to get dinner reservations near the airport; don't want to drive much further than 10-20 minutes or so, if possible. Would like to find a nice upscale place; steaks or Italian, etc. Doesn't need to be 5-star rated, but want a good clean place with a safe area.

Let me hear about what you know please. It obviously will be helpful if the intel is timely and relevant; not something from your experiences several years ago.

Nearly anyplace is 20-30 minutes from the airport.

Let me check my list of recommended places:

And almost anyplace on the Hill for Italian.

The Block is probably closest. They have two locations. You probably want the one in Webster Groves.

I don't know that I'd necessarily want to hunt out something near the airport, but that's just me. As mentioned above, it's not necessarily the greatest part of town.

IMO, you can't go wrong going to The Hill. I like Zia's, but have been several times to Favazza's and Rigazzis. I can highly recommend all three. The Hill is the Italian neighborhood in town and I'd describe all the food I've had there as being authentic but with a twist sort of unique to the area. The biggest is they use a lot of Provel cheese, something that's sort of unique to the area. The Hill and the area around it is a very safe and also very walkable area. It's also near Forest Park, which is very nice and also has a lot of excellent(and free) attractions.

If you want a real drive out into the middle of nowhere, Popeye's Chophouse in St. Rose, IL is probably my favorite steak place in the area. It's a solid hour from the airport I'd guess, though.

I only have a year and a half to claim in the area, but my wife has lived here all her life. She has a lot of Italian blood from both directions, so that's where tend to end up for "nice" restaurants.
Yes, Popeye's in St Rose, but that's going to be an hour or more from near the airport. But it's a great birthday or anniversary place.

If you have the time, and know they are open...

But if not, try one of The Block locations.

Everyplace I've listed are places oilBabe and I have visited and would return to.

Yes, Popeye's in St Rose, but that's going to be an hour or more from near the airport. But it's a great birthday or anniversary place.

If you have the time, and know they are open...

But if not, try one of The Block locations.

Everyplace I've listed are places oilBabe and I have visited and would return to.

Like I said, definitely a haul. It's about 45 minutes for use from Maryville.

The last time I was there was for our anniversary. We are going next weekend for my birthday. We'd actually planned Saturday but when I called again the times were less than favorable so it's going to be next Sunday.

I love that from the outside it looks like a corner bar with an old Budweiser sign out front, and you walk in to a big room with a pool table. You'd never think you were in such a nice and good restaurant from outside appearances...

Thanks all; great recommendations. I expect I'll have to venture 20-30 mins minimum then. But probably worth the extra drive time.

I don't know if you are driving or flying from Indy. If driving, St Rose is kinda on your way either there or back.

Food for thought, pardon the pun.

Back