need battery charger recommendations..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I think I need to pony up for a good brand name 12v 10/2 amp battery charger. I could care less about a 55amp start. I only use the 10amp and mostly the 2 amp charging.

I'm a HF fan, but I have been through several of the harbor freight 2/10/55 amp and it seems they are getting worse and not lasting as long.

Generally the charge function stops working and the 55amp start still works on all of them.

Suggestions? or if anyone knows what goes out on them I'll just fix my stack of HF ones. lol

Last edited:
I'm liking the electronic automatic models that taper down near the end.

Maybe something like these?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XC10-10-6-2-Amp-Battery-Charger/15140195

I have two little cube smart chargers that I normally use for just about everything. When a battery is pretty discharged I just use my old school 10/2 amp regular charger to do the bulk charge, but then switch it over to the smart charger.

If all you want is a bulk charge the WM everstart 6/2 works well for me and has for years. 6 Amps overnight will still bring a huge Dodge Ram battery up to starting ability.

I have a theory that the dumber the charger, the better. Sometimes when a battery is really dead the fancy ones don't know they're hooked up, and so don't even try.

I have 2 chargers, a 10/2, & boost charger I use mostly for car sized batteries, and a smaller charger. The smaller 'tender' type is an Optimate 3, now they are up to an Optimate 4 or 5 I think. I have the pigtails hooked up on most of my smaller machines,(ATV,motorbikes,snowmobile,etc,) & use it routinely. It will do an auto battery if you leave it on overnight or so.

I've got the HF 2/6 amp computerized charger and it does a fine job - picked it up on sale for about $25 or so. Somehow it's not showing up on the website for me now, but I'll grab the part number later today.

Otherwise, get a Deltran Battery Tender.

I have two chargers both from Walmart,both are Schumachers,one is a maintainer that works outstanding and the other one is a 6/12 volt charger with the start feature that i have had for close to 10 years and works great

Ive seen the WM charger recommendations, I would heartily recommend this one over the others (I personally have a few):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-SpeedCharge-12-Amp-Battery-Charger/13005744?findingMethod=rr

The digital voltmeter and charge readout is vry nice for keeping track of things and seeing what the charger is doing. I like that functionality a lot.

I also have a battery minder 12248, which is a high end unit, thermocouple temperature modified, with long-tern float desulfidation function.

If youre keeping it on for long term maintenance, I might consider the battery minder, otherwise the WM unit.

I have 2 Battery Tenders and like them.
I also have the cheap little Harbor Freight $3 on sale type and it's not that bad to keep a spare battery charged.

Any Schumacher is good, I have 1 for more than 4 years and still working perfectly. The one recommended by JHZR2 is a good 1 and its price is reasonable too.

Thanks guys... seems a Schumacher is the way to go. I think I'm gonna go with the SC-1200A. Great prices too... I was prepared to spend up to 80 or 100.

Slightly off topic. If anyone has the Schumacher SC-6500A, SC-7000A, SC-8000A and SC-12000A charger and want to charge a dead battery, try this(according to a Schumacher tech):

1. Connect the charger to dead battery.
2. Hold down the charge rate button. While you hold this down, plug the charger to electrical outlet.
3. Let the button go once the charger is plugged in.
4. This sets it in "Manual Mode." Leave it in Manual Mode for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Unplug the charger from electrical outlet (while leaving it still connected to battery).
6. Replug the charger back to electrical outlet. The surge inside will activate the charging mode in a completely dead battery.

The last shop I worked at had a few Associated chargers. I loved them. We had two "normal" wheeled ones for auto/light truck use and two farm/truck ones that worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back