Need advice on filter for 2015 Dodge Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I have a 2015 Dodge Journey with the 3.6 engine in it. I wanted to put a Purolator PureOne filter in it because I love that filter for my Grand Caravan. However, they don't make it for the Journey. They do make a Purolator Classic, but the specs are not as good. I also saw on Advance Auto's site that there is a Carquest Premium filter (part 94010) available. Is this a decent filter? Can anyone provide some advice on a good filter? I am open to suggestions as I am new to this vehicle.

Thanks,

Joe

You might not see the pureone listed as the 3.6 uses a cartridge style filter, not the typical canister (pretty sure as thats what most Chrysler 3.6s take.)

I just priced out NAPA Gold filters for my Journey (100010) and Grand Caravan (7526). Are these "better" than OEM or WIX? Both are cartridge style.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jshabouk
Hi All,

I have a 2015 Dodge Journey with the 3.6 engine in it. I wanted to put a Purolator PureOne filter in it because I love that filter for my Grand Caravan. However, they don't make it for the Journey. They do make a Purolator Classic, but the specs are not as good. I also saw on Advance Auto's site that there is a Carquest Premium filter (part 94010) available. Is this a decent filter? Can anyone provide some advice on a good filter? I am open to suggestions as I am new to this vehicle.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, I have the same motor on my 2015 Caravan. I used the dealer filter for the first OCI. Price was $13.50 Canadian. I looked around and there aren't a lot of choices. I would have preferred a Fram Ultra, but they don't make one for this engine.

I found Wix 10100 on Rockauto for reasonable price (under $6 Canadian each). I have a comparison photo of a used Mopar filter to the new Wix. I will post it later today.

I just found this CARQUEST Premium Oil Filter at Advance (Part No. 94010), and it says it is 99.5% efficiency rating at 20 microns. Isn't this as good as the PureOne in terms of specs? I appreciate all your help on this everyone!

Napa gold is Wix and so far they are still great filters... I would run away from anything Purolater because there are lots of quality issues with them tearing and other things also..Napa is now owned by m&h Purolaters parent company but so far their quality is still in their Wix line (napa gold is Wix). I just used three Napa Golds and i am satisfied so far.

Jshabouk... Pure one in my opinion and the opinion of many others here and everywhere is not a good filter at all in real time use however it looks good on paper and has the best paint job out of all the filters out there.

As far as I know, there is only 1 filter for the 3.2/3.6 Pentastar engine. Re-branded as needed. Basically an all makes, all models. That's how it was at first. That may have changed, I haven't heard anything though.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
That mopar filter looks rough.. I should post a picture of my last Purolator Classic with 13700 miles on it. Looks better then that.

Yes the Mopar is a bit wavy. Too bad they don't make Fram Ultra's for this motor. I guess with the filter being so narrow it would be almost impossible to construct a filter that small with wire backing along with the media.

We'll see how the Wix stacks up.

I just priced out NAPA Gold filters for my Journey (100010) and Grand Caravan (7526). Are these "better" than OEM or WIX? Both are cartridge style.

Thanks for pointing out for all to reference puposes that this is not spin on type. Which also imo, changes the results that may be seen based on perception of a brand spin on results.

That out of the way. Napa Gold cartridges would the same as Wix, both made by Wix. Personal experience with Wix/NG cartridges for Hyun/Kia applications they are very high quality. I would expect no different for the cartridge applications you note.

As for the CARQUEST cartridge you asked about, I can't state definitively who makes it currently or if identical to AAP pics, but the specs look good and imo is definitely worth considering. I would go take a look at it a AAP prior to purchase though.

Below is link on Pentastar cartridges that you may find useful. It also includes a look at the older cartridge design in a P1 that member 440Magnum had good results with in use. Be like the one for your Grand Caravan. And I wouldn't avoid the OEM Mopar just because of some wavy pleating. What I saw doesn't look too bad or anything that would affect function.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3431075/2014_3.6_Pentastar_filter_thou

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
You might not see the pureone listed as the 3.6 uses a cartridge style filter, not the typical canister (pretty sure as thats what most Chrysler 3.6s take.)

They all do. But the designs are different in varying years so you have to watch out is the main thing.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Thanks for pointing out for all to reference puposes that this is not spin on type. Which also imo, changes the results that may be seen based on perception of a brand spin on results.

That out of the way. Napa Gold cartridges would the same as Wix, both made by Wix. Personal experience with Wix/NG cartridges for Hyun/Kia applications they are very high quality. I would expect no different for the cartridge applications you note.

As for the CARQUEST cartridge you asked about, I can't state definitively who makes it currently or if identical to AAP pics, but the specs look good and imo is definitely worth considering. I would go take a look at it a AAP prior to purchase though.

Below is link on Pentastar cartridges that you may find useful. It also includes a look at the older cartridge design in a P1 that member 440Magnum had good results with in use. Be like the one for your Grand Caravan. And I wouldn't avoid the OEM Mopar just because of some wavy pleating. What I saw doesn't look too bad or anything that would affect function.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3431075/2014_3.6_Pentastar_filter_thou

Thanks for that link.

This is real simple. All you have to do is stop by WalMart or which ever auto parts store you want or what's convenient. Look in the book to see which filters fit and pic one. Maybe try and buy American to support tour country. That's it.

I use the Wix 10010 on a 2015 200S with the Pentastar - it seems fine. I'm going to double stint one going by OLM - so it should have about 17k miles on it when done. I'll post pics, but I don't expect any surprises. The engine holds 6 quarts and seems easy on oil. The FF filter was very clean after 8800 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back