Need a Torch

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK as a DIYer I continually strugle with rusty bolts & nuts. I need recommendations for a good garage type tourch. Peferably a hand held, small tank one. I'm no pro at welding, just some thing to cut down on time.

Move West
grin.gif

Sorry I had to say it.

I use a Bernzomatic trigger ignite torch on a can of MAPP gas.Gets steel cherry red.Does the job.

Are you wanting a cutting torch or just a propane torch? If you need a cutting torch( oxy-acc) then Victor is one of the best. That's what I have. But you don't need a Victor. A HF torch will serve you well.

Man, I knew that was coming.

I have (my grandfather's) Victor Oxy Acetylene setup, but I think something like that is way too cumbersome for just heating bolts.

Unless you want to cut loose whatever the bolt is stuck in.

Thing is with the Victor is spares are all over the place.
Airgas has every part and seal for these things. They will last a lifetime.
HF?

Skip the bernzomatic mapp/oxygen combo. Takes 5.5 turns of the o2 knob to get a blue/white flame and 5.75 turns to blow that flame out.
mad.gif

"They" also say the disposable o2 tanks are like a dollar a minute to run. Go big or go home.

I have a HF propane one and a Craftsman MAPP gas one (2 torch heads) and I inherited a oxy/acetylene torch.

I would start with a HF propane one and see if it cuts the mustard.

most touches use rubber "o" rings to seal the oxygen. if it gets torn they will back fire. its a good idea to have spares in stock all the time. if it back fires and burns in the tube close the oxygen first then the acetylene. then let it cool off be fore restarting it.

Have seen HF torches blow up at the cutting head. They do cut well and heat nicely when working but after seeing one blow up at the head have always been too scared to use
I like Smith torches the best.
A seperate ac/ox tank works the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back