Napa Gold or Motorcraft???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
MC for my Ford's that have start up noise. I went through a lot of filters to find that the MC filter was the only one to stop that 1-second chatter at start up on my 302.

I like the filtration* of the MC FL-820S over WIX and $2.48 is hard to pass at WM. *Unconfirmed but similar to Pur. PureONE.

I might reconsider if I was doing >>7.5K OCI as I give WIX a slight edge over the glued media seam on Purlator produced 820S. Also for long drains maybe better filtration is not what you want without better holding capacity (such a stratapore media).

Both have the silicon ADBV but WIX is dome end bypass (if that matters to you).

Originally Posted By: glenncof
I like the filtration* of the MC FL-820S over WIX and $2.48 is hard to pass at WM. *Unconfirmed but similar to Pur. PureONE.

I might reconsider if I was doing >>7.5K OCI as I give WIX a slight edge over the glued media seam on Purlator produced 820S. Also for long drains maybe better filtration is not what you want without better holding capacity (such a stratapore media).

Both have the silicon ADBV but WIX is dome end bypass (if that matters to you).

I still use/recommend the Motorcraft FL820s, but Bobby Ratliff (the guy who answered my email to WIX) states the the bypass valve is indeed in the base (threaded end) of the WIX 51372. I have also heard (can't verify) that the Motorcraft is a Purolater Premium Plus can, with Pure One guts.

[/quote]Bobby Ratliff (the guy who answered my email to WIX) states the the bypass valve is indeed in the base (threaded end) of the WIX 51372. [/quote]

Not so in the ones I have inspected a year ago. I looked at WIX, Napa Gold, and CarQuest .

Take a look...dome end should be solid, no spring or valve. Their website may say something different in general description.

I have seen Ford Modular motors go 200K miles with very little wear in tear down to do valve seal on a V-10 with 3-5K OCI on Motorcraft oil and filters. Enough said it works very well and for the price is even better.

You would b hard pressed to find a FL-820 instead of an FL-820S filter.

Motorcraft is a fine choice and if for some reason not available a Wix filter would be a VERY VERY fine choice.

Motorcraft:
Overall Length 5.25 inches
Overall Diameter 3.66 inches
Cartridge Length 4.13 inches
Cartridge Outside Diameter 3.44 inches
Cartridge Inside Diameter 1.74 inches
Cartridge Pleats 49
Cartridge End Cap Type Stamped-steel, with bypass valve in front
Anti-Drainback Valve Type Nitrile rubber diaphragm
Bypass Valve Type Spring-loaded steel
Element Type Cellulose media, stamped metal seam
Element Length 74 inches
Element Width 4.0 inches
Element Surface Area 296 square inches
Shell Thickness 0.013 inches
Backplate Thickness 0.10 inches
Gasket Type Nitrile rubber

WIX
Cartridge Length 4.00 inches
Cartridge Outside Diameter 3.25 inches
Cartridge Inside Diameter 1.63 inches
Cartridge Pleats 61
Cartridge End Cap Type Stamped-steel
Anti-Drainback Valve Type Nitrile rubber diaphragm
Bypass Valve Type Spring-loaded steel, nitrile seal
Element Type Paper media, glued seam
Element Length 90 inches
Element Width 3.88 inches
Element Surface Area 349 square inches
Shell Thickness 0.014 inches
Backplate Thickness 0.10 inches
Gasket Type Nitrile rubber

It looks like the WIX offers a little more surface area, but both are excellent filters.

emperor, what filter numbers are you comparing? The Motorcraft FL820S has a silicone ADBV, while your Motorcraft spec above says "Anti-Drainback Valve Type Nitrile rubber diaphragm"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back