mower will not start ... take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been having an issue with my mower not starting. changed the primer bulb figuring that was the issue. no dice. has to be some type of fuel problem. I can take the air cleaner off and give it a small shot of starting fluid and it fires right up and runs fine. can this be some type of choke issue or can it be the carb? I do add fuel stabilizer at the end of the year and run my mower until it is almost empty and this is the first year had a problem. ( it is 10 years old )

What kind of engine and carb setup?

If this is a B&S with the carb on the gas tank, it's probably the diaphragm. Get a diaphragm kit at Lowe's, Home Depot, or any B&S dealer. They are about $2. Just take the carb off the tank, spray it out with carb cleaner, then reassemble with the pieces in the new diaphragm kit.

If it uses a carb with a float bowl, time to take that off and start cleaning. All new gaskets are a good idea at 10 years old. Some B&S models use a thermostat operated choke that can stick. It's mounted between the block and the muffler. Make sure the arm can move freely and springs back into place.

Last edited:
Hi, you have to first reveal to us what kind of mower is it? a B&S Quantum? a Honda? Kohler or?

Then we go from there.

Q.

My grandfather's edger doesnt start unless starting fluid is put in, but then it runs.

I opened up the air filter, blew in some aerosol seafoam, and then also added seafoam pretty heavy to the gas tank. Helped a lot.

That treatment also "cures" the "sick" engines that do start and run funny or have other ailments. Ive been lucky with that approach!

sorry for getting back to everybody so late. the engine is a briggs and stratton. I have run schaeffers neutra through the carb in the gas and no change. did change a gasket change on the mower about a year ago as it was surging and one the gasket was installed it has run perfect. it is time to take the carb off and run some amsoil power foam through it ?

Last edited:
If it's the B&S Quantum series with pulsa-jet carb then you shall seriously consider rebuilding the carb (assuming the rest of your engine, cylinder, rings, bearings, etc. are in good shape and not burning oil etc.

example:

http://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Overhaul-Replaces-Latest-Pulsa/dp/B005HI73SM

(*get the engine code from the side tab and research online to get the proper kit)

If yours look like this (vacu-jet) carb, also consider getting a full set of gasket:

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_vacu-jet_vert_auto.asp

rebuild is very simple. Make sure you have compressed air to blow clear all the orifices, passageways, etc. before you re-assembly.

Q.

If it runs I would just put some fuel system cleaner in it to see if that helps before tearing it apart and replacing stuff that may not be the cause.

Originally Posted By: matrass
I have run schaeffers neutra through the carb in the gas and no change.

He did try shaeffers neutra in carb and gas tank already.

Read on.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Originally Posted By: matrass
I have run schaeffers neutra through the carb in the gas and no change.

He did try shaeffers neutra in carb and gas tank already.

Read on.

Q.

My bad. Didn't read the second post.
spankme2.gif

Check the intake pipe (between carb & valve) for leaks. I have seen 1 of these with a hole worn in it from vibration. I have seen others with the o-ring at the carb displaced.

thanks for the input and the links to research my model of engine. been busy working on some remodeling so I have just not had the time to dive into my mower yet. hoping to look at this in the next couple of weeks. looking at the pics I would say my model is the one in this link http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_vacu-jet_vert_auto.asp. did pick up the carb gasket kit with the spring and diaphragm in it at lowes to replace mine and see if that is the culprit. looking at the pics I would say that the choke plate is not in the closed position when I have had the air cleaner off .will use the kit and clean everything else up and let you guys know how it went.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back