Motorcycle tire speed ratings/construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know when it comes to car tires, H-rated tires are generally better built - extra ply which results in better steering response and less heat buildup, etc. Does the same hold true for motorcycle tires?

Case in point: my bike came from the factory with S-rated tires. When it's time to get new tires, the same tire as OEM (Bridgestone Exedra 701/702) comes in two speed ratings: S and H. Does it make any sense for me go with the H-rated one? Benefits of H-rated tires aside, will having an H-rated tire reduce ride comfort?

the Michelin Pilot Powers on my R6 are W-rated. I don't think speed ratings have any affect on comfort at all.

Last edited:
Tire deformation at high speed is countered by increasing the number and changing the composition of the sidewall plys and tread belts (in a radial). This makes the tire ride harder but lowers the slip angle at which the tire operates. Since higher speed ratings are usually asociated with higher performance, the high performance versions usually get a higher grip tread compound, but - there being no free lunch- such rubber is softer and doesn't wear as well despite the stiffer tire body. Check the treadwear on "V" rated tires, it is almost always lower han the lower speed rated versions.

Load rating is another factor when it comes to a tire's ability to handle heat. Higher load ratings mean stiffer sidewalls and construction.

I put Michelin Pilot Road 3 with their V speed rating on my V-Strom and the ride is the smoothest yet--and the tires for these bikes have reinforced sidewalls. I think the ride depends on much more than just the rating. Are there some good radials available in your sizes?

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Are there some good radials available in your sizes?

Not that I'm aware of.

The size is 140/90/15 and it has to be a tire designed for a tube. I think they're all bias ply in that size.

I have no complaints about the stock Bridgestone G702. I was just curious if I'll gain anything by going with the H-rated one vs. the stock S-rated one. Both have the same load rating.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
.....I was just curious if I'll gain anything by going with the H-rated one vs. the stock S-rated one. Both have the same load rating.

The general rule is the more capable a product is, the less likely it is to fail.

A tire with a higher speed rating means it is capable of withstanding higher speeds - ergo, it will be a better constructed tire and therefore safer.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
.....I was just curious if I'll gain anything by going with the H-rated one vs. the stock S-rated one. Both have the same load rating.

The general rule is the more capable a product is, the less likely it is to fail.

A tire with a higher speed rating means it is capable of withstanding higher speeds - ergo, it will be a better constructed tire and therefore safer.

I wouldn't be surprised if tire have similar failure rates when used within their speed rating.

Higher rated tires may generate less heat or tolerate the heat better. Which may not matter when running within a tires speed range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back