Motorcraft Oil Filter Conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A local auto parts store is doing a great clearance sale on Motorcraft Oil Filters for $2 each. I went ahead and grabbed a few 920's for my Focus, and was wanting to pick up some more filters for my girlfriend's Chrysler Sebring 2003 2.7L Engine.

Obviously different car brand, and the "experts" at the auto parts store said the oil filter wouldn't be compatible. Yet with a previous Chrysler Town and Country, it saw exclusive oil change service at our local Ford dealership, who somehow managed to get a Motorcraft oil filter on just fine.

Is there a resource or listing online for conversions from one filter to another? (For instance, the Sebring engine takes 14670 in Purulator specs. Able to convert over to Motorcraft?)

I've seen mention of others here, but I like Fram's oil filter look up. Seems fairly comprehensive and if the 14670 has a MC cross it should be listed.

That said, if the 14670 MC cross is not a common FoMoCo app, it may be no different in construction than a Puro Classic, and likely not rated as efficient.

definitely the fl-300 is the closest match. an fl-400s should work if you have enough clearance for the length of the filter.

Yes it shows a FL-300 as direct cross over for that car, but FL-300's are a rare bird not likely to be in stock.

The FL-910S and FL-400S will both fit just fine though, although the can size and shape is totally different the gasket, bypass, base plate is all within a couple hundreths of an inch of each other.

Running an FL-400S on my Jeep right now, instead of an FL-300 or FL-1A. Works great. If you have a LOT of room, the FL-1A is just a longer version of the 300 as well, actually the 300 is a shorter version of the FL-1A.

If the 400S will work, I'd clear the shelf at 2 bucks a piece.

01.gif

When you go back, tell the "experts" you have to use a Motorcraft Filter on the Chrysler as you already stocked up on Motorcraft oil to use in it. Maybe ask them if they think that will work or should you take it back....

The best value/bang for the buck filter for most Chrysler products have "Motorcraft" painted on them. JMO.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the great input all!

I'll check for the FL300 and FL842, and if worse comes to worse I can grab some more 910S. Admittedly the clearance on the engine is such that a 400 would probably poke out too much.

I never realized that oil filters can vary in width on the same motor application - the Sebring's previous filter was around the size of a 910, rather small. The PureOne we put on was much wider, and will give me an excuse to buy another, larger oil filter wrench.
whistle.gif

Sorry for the double post, quick follow-up question: In looking around more, it would appear that I'm looking for an oil filter with Thread Size 3/4 - 16. In that case, would any filter with that thread size do?

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Sorry for the double post, quick follow-up question: In looking around more, it would appear that I'm looking for an oil filter with Thread Size 3/4 - 16. In that case, would any filter with that thread size do?

No, you can't just use anything with the correct thread. You still need to match gasket and bypass specs. That's why I suggested the FL-910S or FL-400S, they match. So will anything in the PH8A/FL-1A family, or the PH16 family. All match gaskets, threads and bypass settings, the cans are just drastically different. So it depends on what kind of room you have. For example the PH16 group will be shorter than an FL-400S but with a dramatically larger diameter can. A FL-1A/PH8A will be huge compared to either of them, but gaskets, bypass and threads all match.

The FL-400S has been shortened in the last couple of years, it's only about an inch longer than an FL-910S now.

Fantastic, thanks for the insight.

I just got back from the store. They had one 842s in stock, were out of the 400S, but still had plenty of 910S.

Final tally - 1 842S, 6 910S - all for $14. It is handy to know that both my Focus and her Sebring can take the same filter of the 910.

Not a bad deal at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back