Mobil1 5000 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at VatoZone on Friday morning and they were selling 5 qts of Mobil1 5000 5w-30 and a filter for $8.99. I run Mobil1 Syn in my nice cars, but I usually buy what's on sale for my daily drivers. What do you lot think of the Mobil1 5000 dino 5w-30?

Mobil 5000 is conventional

Mobil 1 is "syn" (depending who / what Syn is)

No such thing as Mobil 1 5000.

Mobil 5000 is a excellent oil. I don't like the salt in it for UOA reasons.

But a good oil.

Bill

For starters, it's not "Mobil-1" 5000. Only the Mobil-1 products are the synthetic oils. Mobil 5000 is a conventional oil. Mobil 7500 is a blend. That noted, that seems like a decent, if not outstanding, price for the oil and filter. Any particular brand of filter?

Sorry for "piling on" -- my response came in one minute after Bill's.
cheers3.gif

No worries..I'm just used to saying Mobil1 because I've never bought anything but their SYN oils. It was a [censored] STP filter, but again, this stuff is just for my beater Saturn, so I don't really care what is used to filter the oil. This car is a testament to the amount of abuse a vehicle can take. It's survived numerous fender benders and hail storms and just keeps on ticking. It's almost fun to see how far it'll go. It's a one owner car, my fiance got it brand new in High School (1996) and she's kept it ever since. It's now mine, and it runs well, but I just buy whatever is cheapest at vatozone when it's due for an oil change.

Clean 5000 has 16% more detergency additives than Mobil's base GF-4 /SM quick lube bulk oil, Mobil Clean (which used to be Drive Clean at retail).

Both the Mobil 5000 and the Quaker State conventional oils are fine oils especially for the price with a filter(any filter!).

I didn't see the QS advertisement on the first page, just the Mobil ad on the back of the flyer. I figured for $8.99 I couldn't go wrong.

If that oil has some detergents in it that's great, I'm sure my Saturn engine could use it. I Seafoam'd the crankcase a couple of times along with the PCV, after those treatments the car was noticeably smoother.

Edit.. I finally looked that Mobil website for this oil. It doesn't appear to be all that bad. Especially for my older daily drivers.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_Clean_5000.aspx

Quote:
Mobil Clean 5000
Want a conventional oil that protects for today's longer oil change intervals? No problem. With Mobil Clean 5000, you’ll get 16 percent more cleaning agents than our conventional oil, Mobil Clean (available in installed facilities only). Extra cleaning power that helps your engine run cleaner than with other conventional oils — even with today’s longer oil change intervals. In fact, Mobil Clean 5000 is guaranteed to provide excellent performance and protection for all car engines for up to 5,000 miles of normal consumer driving.

Quote:
# Proven protection of critical engine parts from lubricant-related failure for 5,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first.
# Designed to exceed most engine warranty requirements.
# Outstanding wear protection for critical engine parts during today's longer service intervals.
# Extra cleaning performance to help prevent the formation of sludge and harmful deposits.
# Meets key industry and OEM requirements (see specific viscosities).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back