Millions Of Home Routers Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Linksys E1000 isn't on the list, but then it is pretty new. And I did of course update the firmware (going to get ddWRT once it's available for it) and change the factory password.

Stay away from Netgear on the other hand, we had one that it was ridiculous, dropped connection all the time, we had to physically unplug, and plug it back in again at least twice a day, because the wireless would completely die. That thing was a real POS.

Last edited:
Funny...I have never had a problem with a Netgear router. In fact, I bought a Linksys router when my wife bought her new laptop and that thing was a pain in the rear with it's software.

Took it back and swapped it for a Netgear wireless router.

Only disconnect problem I have had is when the cable service goes down.

The first Netgear router I owned did just what you stated and it was due to me not having SP 2 on my XP install.
I only bought the wireless router due to my wife buying her laptop. The older hardwired Netgear was running just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
All the D-LINK's I have had have gone bad within the first 30 days or first year. I have had countless DOA's and RMA's and I finally gave up on that brand and went with Linksys and then ASUS.

I had a D-Link router which one of my friends gave me..I just use it as an access point, I turned off the DHCP server..it's been working fine for over a year.

I actually don't even remember what IP address I gave it.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Definetly change to WPA if at all possible. Preferably the WPA2/AES but even WPA/TKIP is better. WEP can be cracked in a matter of minutes. It shouldnt even be an option anymore.

Yep, and use a long password. Mine is a random combination of 20+ alphanumeric characters+different cases, changed periodically.
Also set up MAC filtering. I know it can be spoofed, but it is one more step to break. Assign permanent IP addresses to your computers and networked printers and turn off the DHCP server. Turn off the SSID broadcast. Decrease the broadcast signal strength, if you can. If 50% power connects you reliable, leave it at 50%. Less of a neighborhood footprint and less bounced/reflected signals.

Still run a good two-way software firewall, like ZoneAlarm.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: StevieC
All the D-LINK's I have had have gone bad within the first 30 days or first year. I have had countless DOA's and RMA's and I finally gave up on that brand and went with Linksys and then ASUS.

I had a D-Link router which one of my friends gave me..I just use it as an access point, I turned off the DHCP server..it's been working fine for over a year.

I actually don't even remember what IP address I gave it.

Just shows that one name brand might not work for everybody. Try and try again.

I saw this last week and didn't even think to post it here.

I see no Cisco (real Cisco, not Linksys)or Juniper products on the list. Go figure. Mostly just home devices. Which are almost always the most vulnerable to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back