Michelin PAX tires... some questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to be up on all things automotive, but somehow the PAX tire system, specifically the one used in the mid/late 2000's Honda Odyssey and some Acura models had escaped me. I know that Honda stopped putting these tires on new vehicles sometime around the 2010 model year. But what about replacements? The internet lends no information on this, and none of the tire dealers seem to list a PAX tire on their website. The wheels used for PAX tires were metric, and could not accept regular tires, IIRC. Yet I still see Honda Odysseys out there with the PAX specific wheels (the tire sidewalls always looked different, now I know why!).

So, do they still sell PAX tires for replacement?

From what I understand, Michelin stopped making PAX tires. I remember hearing about a lot of people being frustrated that they used a proprietary tire.

The last time it came up on here I was reading about it on a few different Honda forums - it seems that they do have to buy new wheels.

History repeating itself, just like the "TRX" tires of the late 70s. Michelin orphaned them as well. There's one specality company making "TRX" rubber in the US, at 400 bucks per tire.

Last edited:
I would just get new wheels that did not use the PAX system. I worked at Sears Auto around when these were "popular" and we were told to not touch them under any circumstances. You needed a specific tire mounter to replace the tires.

Search "De-Pax". Very common for 2005-2009 Odyssey Touring models to have ditched the PAX system. I know an Engineer at Honda and when I spoke to him before I bought my 2005 Odyssey EX-L (no PAX), he advised against getting a Touring model, primarily due to weight.

As an alternative to new wheels and tires, you might search eBay for take off PAX with good tires. The wheels have very low resale value because nobody wants them and there are a bunch available.

I had my 2007 Honda Odyssey De-Paxed over the summer when Honda said it would cost about $1200 for a new set of Pax tires. As I plan to keep the van another 100K I figured the best way was to buy new rims and choose the tire size/brand that I wanted (17 inch rims/Continental TrueContact tires on sale with $70 rebate) When I need new tires in a few years the cost will even out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
There's one specality company making "TRX" rubber in the US, at 400 bucks per tire.

That is ridiculous, EVEN FOR 'stang restoration sticklers!
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back