Max. tire pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading threads that talk about increasing tire pressures above the recommended on the door post in order to increase gas mileage. Can I increase pressure above the maximum? The tire sidewall(Uniroyal Tigerpaw AWP 205/75-15) says, 35psi is the max. and the truck(2003 GMC Sonoma) lists recommended tire pressure at 35psi. I checked Tire Rack specs on this tire and they list the max at 35psi. Is 35psi the max. and if so, why does GMC recommend running the tire at the max. psi?

I wouldn't do it. I'd be worried about the bead possibly blowing off the rim.

Some non-performance tires have really low max recommended pressure.

Seems like GM put a #@$%! stock tire on that truck, for the size of the truck.

You can safely run 35psi (cold pressure), which will inflate to 36-38psi after tire warms up. The max pressure's on side-walls, are usually max COLD pressure, in which the tire will create additional psi as it starts to roll.

Look very carefully at the sidewall of the Uniroyals.

I'll bet it says: Max load XXXX lbs. at 35 psi. That is not saying what the max pressure is!!!!

So inflating over 35 psi....well...isn't covered by what it written on the sidewall.

And my background says that you can use as high as 44 psi and not have a "bead blowing off the rim" type of problem.

Having said that, I still wouldn't recommend more than 5 psi above the placard pressure.

What it says is, "Max load 1598 lbs. @ max. inflation 35 psi" which says to me that 35 psi is the max. pressure. Plus the specs say 35 is the max. I normally inflate to 35 psi because that's what it says to inflate to on the inside of the door. So if I load up the truck I don't dare increase the pressure because I'll be over the max. Neither do I want to have less than the recommended 35 psi. for fear of over heating or not getting the most mpg from these tires. I just don't seem to have any room for error.

Tigrpal,

Quote:

"Max load 1598 lbs. @ max. inflation 35 psi"

Are you sure about the second "max"? The way it reads doesn't make sense. A tire's load carrying capacity occurs at some pressure - not a some maximum pressure.

Quote:

.... So if I load up the truck I don't dare increase the pressure because I'll be over the max. Neither do I want to have less than the recommended 35 psi. for fear of over heating or not getting the most mpg from these tires. I just don't seem to have any room for error. ...

I think you are misinterpretting the pressure thing.

First, there are circumstances where passenger car tires can be inflated to 44 psi even though the sidewall say 35 psi max. (which I don't think it does!)

Second, the vehicle manufacturer specified one inflation pressure - not different pressures for different loading conditions. That means the pressure listed is adequate up to the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight). So, according to the vehicle manufacturer, you don't need to add pressure when you load the truck.

So I think you have room for error.

Quote:

Tigrpal,

Quote:

"Max load 1598 lbs. @ max. inflation 35 psi"

Are you sure about the second "max"? The way it reads doesn't make sense. A tire's load carrying capacity occurs at some pressure - not a some maximum pressure.

Quote:

.... So if I load up the truck I don't dare increase the pressure because I'll be over the max. Neither do I want to have less than the recommended 35 psi. for fear of over heating or not getting the most mpg from these tires. I just don't seem to have any room for error. ...

I think you are misinterpretting the pressure thing.

First, there are circumstances where passenger car tires can be inflated to 44 psi even though the sidewall say 35 psi max. (which I don't think it does!)

Second, the vehicle manufacturer specified one inflation pressure - not different pressures for different loading conditions. That means the pressure listed is adequate up to the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight). So, according to the vehicle manufacturer, you don't need to add pressure when you load the truck.

So I think you have room for error.

Perhaps. However - 35 PSI is the max recommended (cold) pressure on the sidewall. I've never had a tire with such a low max inflation, but I guess they do exist. Here's the specs from Uniroyal. All are rated for a max pressure of 35 PSI except one size.

http://www.uniroyal.com/specs/tiger-paw-awp/2.html

Quote:

nflation pressure increase must not exceed the maximum pressure branded on the tire sidewall.

I remember the recommended inflation for my '89 Acura Integra RS was 26 PSI front and back. I don't think I ever installed a tire without at least a 44 PSI max pressure. I know it can be safe to go lower if it's loaded well below the max rated load. My folks' '02 Camry has a door-jamb recommendation for 29 PSI for "1 to 4 passengers" and 32 PSI for up to the rated load. The manual recommends 35 PSI when towing a trailer.

Thank you. I'll keep running it at 35 psi empty or loaded. When empty, it bounces around a little but I'm getting the best gas mileage I can, I guess, and I can load it without worrying about the pressure. It's not a bad tire - 60,000 miles and still 6/32's tread left. It's just odd that it doesn't have either a higher max. or a lower recommended pressure.

35's where I'd want to run regardless. Pretty certain tire and rim man. assoc. has allways ok'ed 5 psi over max for sustained high speed. NEVER seen a tire "blow off" rim unless insanely overpressured over 100psi (dumb arse employee mind in neutral while mouth in gear) no harm, lotsa dust and he and I had ringing ears for couple hours.

Bob

Most tire manufactures designed their tires so that the actual maximum blow off pressure is twice the max on the advertised side-wall.

There are just too many drivers that never read the owner's manual.

[quote...Perhaps. However - 35 PSI is the max recommended (cold) pressure on the sidewall.....

Look at the link again. The web page says "Max Load (pounds @ psi)". That does NOT say what the maximum safe inflation pressure should be - which was my point.

For passenger car tires, 35 psi is the common rating pressure for the maximum load carrying capacity (There are some exceptions.) And the Tire and Rim Associatrion allows up to 44 psi for certain circumstances.

That's why most passenger car tires will say 44 psi maximum on the sidewall. Michelin seems to be to the only one stating their maximums this other way.

I'll go out on a limb, here, and state that there aren't any passenger car tires that say 35 psi maximum on the sidewall. If they say 35 psi on the sidewall, it will be in the context of "Max Load @ 35 psi".

OK, someone prove me wrong!

Quote:

I'll go out on a limb, here, and state that there aren't any passenger car tires that say 35 psi maximum on the sidewall. If they say 35 psi on the sidewall, it will be in the context of "Max Load @ 35 psi".

OK, someone prove me wrong!

Is this what you need in the way of proof?
[image] [/image]

Quote:

Proof I see in that pic is that dry rot and cracking mean you Need A New Set Of Tires!!!!!!

Bob

Yes and the tire I am considering for replacement is the Michelin LTX M/S. I checked the specs on the Michelin for this size and guess what - Max. tire pressure is 35psi - the same as the Uniroyal that I have now.
pat2.gif

Quote:

....Is this what you need in the way of proof?.....

Yup, that is what I meant and you proved your point."

Of course, that makes me wonder what the Michelin folks are thinking. Probably something lost in the translation to French!! (Mutter, mutter, mutter!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back