Mann HU816X C&P - 4300miles

This filter was in service for 5 months and had 4300miles on it.

IMG_2803.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg

7 days ago, close to a quart of top up oil was added along with 120mL of Chevron's Vartech (it's use in cars has not been vetted). My hypothesis is oil performance shouldn't be affected when the additive is at a 2% concentration. Upcoming UOA might give some hints.

Total # of miles with the additive: 291

IMG_2824.jpeg

IMG_2843.jpeg

Chunks..?
IMG_2846.jpeg

This photo brightened my mood as the cleanup seems to be working
IMG_2847.jpeg

Chunks? Looks like belt. Did you purchase car new or used? Those N generation inline 6 and N20 like to digest belt in case it snaps.

I think that issue isn't applicable to the n54 but I could be wrong. Haven't had anything happen recently other a leak in the oil cooler thermostat housing two months ago and that was due to a faulty part so it was fixed under warranty.

we've had the car for probably 10 years now and bought it used.

it's currently at 95000 miles

here's a peek into the fill hole. hoping the chunks are part of the internal buildup

Last edited:
I think that issue isn't applicable to the n54 but I could be wrong. Haven't had anything happen recently other a leak in the oil cooler thermostat housing two months ago and that was due to a faulty part so it was fixed under warranty.

we've had the car for probably 10 years now and bought it used.

it's currently at 95000 miles

here's a peek into the fill hole. hoping the chunks are part of the internal buildup

I think all are susceptible to that due to crank pully oversized design. It is usually bcs. OFHG leaks, and N54 has the same design as others.
But, considering how long vehicle is with you, I don’t think that is it.
What oil you used?

I think all are susceptible to that due to crank pully oversized design. It is usually bcs. OFHG leaks, and N54 has the same design as others.
But, considering how long vehicle is with you, I don’t think that is it.
What oil you used?

Your all time favorite ;), liqui moly.

The oil is still in there. Going to let my mechanic change it with HPL next week and not say a word about the testing. He is of the mindset that additives should not be used.

With just 4,300 miles on it that is a good amount of debris on that filter. But that is what you're after to clean up the engine.

Your all time favorite ;), liqui moly.

The oil is still in there. Going to let my mechanic change it with HPL next week and not say a word about the testing. He is of the mindset that additives should not be used.
Hmm, trying to figure out those pieces. Could be oil. N54 is an animal.

With just 4,300 miles on it that is a good amount of debris on that filter. But that is what you're after to clean up the engine.

I agree but since liqui moly isn’t like HPL when it comes to cleaning, I think the debris is only from the last week after the additive was added so possibly 300 miles and not 4300.

Hmm, trying to figure out those pieces. Could be oil. N54 is an animal.
I’ve been testing the oil level sensor every time I drive and it’s been flawless.

In the past year, it was either abnormally slow or would give inconsistent readings.

Could be a coincidence but it seems things are getting cleaned or dislodged faster than expected.

I agree but since liqui moly isn’t like HPL when it comes to cleaning, I think the debris is only from the last week after the additive was added so possibly 300 miles and not 4300.
That would be some excellent cleaning power! So, your plan is just to use HPL from this point & no more cleaner additive?

Back