Magnet on fuel filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
We've heard of oil filter magnets, but would a magnet affixed to a fuel filter's canister serve any useful purpose whatsoever?

confused2.gif

No. I can't imagine that the answer could be yes. In the farthest reaches of my imagination, I can't come up with a reasonable way to claim that this may be true.

Edit: out on a limb... Rust maybe? but the filter will do a fine just of that all on it's own.

I cannot see why any metal shavings would be in your tank... and if any end up there they will be filtered anyway..

Sounds good. I thought the same, but just decided to post here in case I missed something, and a search yielded discussion of oil filter magnets only. Especially with frequent fuel filter replacement, rust and any other possible metal particles should not be an issue... if they are, I'd imagine one has bigger issues to worry about.

All the fuel injected vehicles I've owned have had in-tank fuel pumps that are cooled by fuel flowing thru them. If there were any iron/steel particles in the tank, wouldn't they attach themselves to the fuel pump magnets?

Last edited:
I can't see where it would hurt. [sarcasm]You might even get 50% more MPG and 20 extra horsepower.[/sarcasm]

Most newer cars have plastic fuel tanks. Older steel tanks rusted.

I have one attached to my Honda CRV fuel filter b/c I had one fuel injector clogged about 4-5 mos. ago. I have opened my fuel tank before and there was no contaminants on my fuel pump but the sock fuel filter in the fuel tank. I put the magnet on the inline fuel filter in the engine because I suspect one the fuel stations I fill up may have rust. I attached one of those computer hard drive magnets. Like someone says it doesn't hurt. I have another magnet I want to attach to my van's fuel filter but cannot find it.

I guess since I have so many spare hard drive magnets I'll just stick one or two on there just to have them serve a purpose other than collecting dust. Another two will go on my oil filter.

the original idea was the magnetic field would disrupt the fuel molecules and allow them to be burned more completely.. so more mileage allegedly.

I have 2 of them.. it was 1994.. give me a break!
It has a CARB air board # on them too! haha!

Originally Posted By: EricF
the original idea was the magnetic field would disrupt the fuel molecules and allow them to be burned more completely.. so more mileage allegedly.

I have 2 of them.. it was 1994.. give me a break!
It has a CARB air board # on them too! haha!

How is that exactly? Not only was this a Mythbusters and was completely disproven, but gasoline is typically a mixture of aliphatic hydrocarbons which are completely (well, very nearly) nonmagnetic. Even if you "disrupted" the fuel molecules (which you don't), it would matter very little since you're doing it within a closed vessel of nothing but fuel. It doesn't mix with air until much further downstream, so increased aerosolization would also be nonexistant.

Sorry,
Techniker

Originally Posted By: ludey
I have one attached to my Honda CRV fuel filter b/c I had one fuel injector clogged about 4-5 mos. ago.

What would be interesting (and more definitive) would be to cut the filter open when you change it and see if the magnets did anything = outline where they were, particles showing the magnetic field, etc.

I'll probably cut open my fuel filter in a year since I'm going to take measurements and pictures of the media to compare to Nissan OEM fuel filter (a year after that). Current NAPA Gold 3023 (Wix 33023) fuel filter has been in use since 2011-04-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back